Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
Picked one up today at Target from a prepaid carrier, but i will only be using this as a iPod for all my music storage needs. My daily driver is a iPhone 7 and after having both loaded up with almost an identical setup, with both on 11.4 the SE performs pretty much the same i'd say. Certain apps even load faster on the SE but i'l say thats just probably because the phone is fresh, though i have heard people say that with all the issues iOS 11 has been having the SE has generally been the best on it.. share your experience. Camera quality is also almost identical i'l probably see a significant difference tonight in lower light conditions. The front facing camera is also good enough and quite comparable to the 7, though you can't zoom in which i never do anyway on front facing.

My only 2 disappointments are the lack of 3D touch that i am so used to by now and the first gen fingerprint scanner but hey at least it has a scanner.. Now compare this to a iPod touch 6 which will run you more money and you will not be getting the extra performance etc. Though i do think the iPod 6 revived itself with the fact that iOS 12 is coming out for it which is awesome. If you're in the market for a new iPod to store some music on/actually going the prepaid way and getting the cell service this so far seems like a great bang for the buck.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Picked one up today at Target from a prepaid carrier, but i will only be using this as a iPod for all my music storage needs. My daily driver is a iPhone 7 and after having both loaded up with almost an identical setup, with both on 11.4 the SE performs pretty much the same i'd say. Certain apps even load faster on the SE but i'l say thats just probably because the phone is fresh, though i have heard people say that with all the issues iOS 11 has been having the SE has generally been the best on it.. share your experience. Camera quality is also almost identical i'l probably see a significant difference tonight in lower light conditions. The front facing camera is also good enough and quite comparable to the 7, though you can't zoom in which i never do anyway on front facing.

My only 2 disappointments are the lack of 3D touch that i am so used to by now and the first gen fingerprint scanner but hey at least it has a scanner.. Now compare this to a iPod touch 6 which will run you more money and you will not be getting the extra performance etc. Though i do think the iPod 6 revived itself with the fact that iOS 12 is coming out for it which is awesome. If you're in the market for a new iPod to store some music on/actually going the prepaid way and getting the cell service this so far seems like a great bang for the buck.

Its a Great phone. And even though it does have some dated technology, I honestly would rather purchase an iPhone SE over an iPod, simply because it has a stronger battery and a more updated processor with the A9. 3D touch would be nice, but that would just raise the price, but you can still use long press.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Some credit card readers require use of the headphone jack. The iPhone SE would be more convenient than having to use an iPad.

Reactions: MartyvH

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
I just opened my SE yesterday coming from a 6plus. So far it is everything I have hoped for. No more wrist and arm ache from lugging around a behemoth. It does everything I was doing with the 6Plus. Since I have never owned a 7, 8, or plus the ignorance is bliss.

In certain situations a few things have been slow to load but I think this is because of IOS since I am seeing the same response on my 2018 iPad.

The form factor is just beautiful. I don't see myself moving to a bigger iphone if we get a refreshed SE.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
Some credit card readers require use of the headphone jack. The iPhone SE would be more convenient than having to use an iPad.

yeah I actually see a ton of stores new iPads nowadays for that it’s weird
[doublepost=1528253162][/doublepost]
I just opened my SE yesterday coming from a 6plus. So far it is everything I have hoped for. No more wrist and arm ache from lugging around a behemoth. It does everything I was doing with the 6Plus. Since I have never owned a 7, 8, or plus the ignorance is bliss.

In certain situations a few things have been slow to load but I think this is because of IOS since I am seeing the same response on my 2018 iPad.

The form factor is just beautiful. I don't see myself moving to a bigger iphone if we get a refreshed SE.

how’s your power button mines a bit shaky/rattly but it looks like that’s been a common issue for a lot of people, not the biggest deal but does leave the phone feeling cheap at times. Otherwise the hardware is great.

Suspended
May 28, 2017

Curious - how much did you pay for it ? My friend is thinking of getting one.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
yeah I actually see a ton of stores new iPads nowadays for that it’s weird
[doublepost=1528253162][/doublepost]

how’s your power button mines a bit shaky/rattly but it looks like that’s been a common issue for a lot of people, not the biggest deal but does leave the phone feeling cheap at times. Otherwise the hardware is great.

No rattling yet. I can tell its not the latest tech but it works well. I well certainly keep an eye (or finger) on it to see if changes soon.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
SE is still a great phone.

I wish it was a bit more updated - the tech feels old when compared to the 8, 8+, and X.

I imagine a refreshed model will be coming later this year, if at all.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018

Did that a few years ago, you will be back.

Reactions: Alch3mist

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Great phone. I use mine a lot in lieu of my 8. I enjoy the size and form factor plus the headphone jack! Plus it still runs well and has a lot of zip.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Absolutely normal. iPhone SE’s have some form of play from side to side with the power button on the top and a slight rattle. It’s the way it was manufactured.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
Curious - how much did you pay for it ? My friend is thinking of getting one.

$149 but if he wants to use it with cell service he will have to settle on whatever prepaid carrier its from or get it unlocked either by paying the prepaid service for 12 months or getting an unlock code.
[doublepost=1528302466][/doublepost]So tonight i ran into my first issue though it might be my own fault.. The phone out the box came with like 15% battery and i pretty much ended up plugging in the charger right away and using it at the same time later on unplugging when it got to 100%. I probably messed up the calibration because when i went to sleep with 70% left this morning the phone was completely shut off with 0% juice. I also used the same power brick and cable i use for iPhone 7 which have the same specs so i dont think that was the problem. Also during the time the phone initially charged it had to jump from iOS 11 to 11.4.. anyways now I'm just going to charge it from 0 to 100 without using it and vice versa when its fully charged to hopefully get it properly calibrated and not see this issue again. In the settings the battery health is listed as 100% as well and the phone doesn't heat up for no good reason so the hardware should be fine. I'l update on this later.

Edit 1: Many SE users are experiencing the same thing on 11.4 hmmm.. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-4-se-fast-battery-drain.2120873/page-5

Last edited:
Reactions: 0002378

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
$149 but if he wants to use it with cell service he will have to settle on whatever prepaid carrier its from or get it unlocked either by paying the prepaid service for 12 months or getting an unlock code.
[doublepost=1528302466][/doublepost]So tonight i ran into my first issue though it might be my own fault.. The phone out the box came with like 15% battery and i pretty much ended up plugging in the charger right away and using it at the same time later on unplugging when it got to 100%. I probably messed up the calibration because when i went to sleep with 70% left this morning the phone was completely shut off with 0% juice. I also used the same power brick and cable i use for iPhone 7 which have the same specs so i dont think that was the problem. Also during the time the phone initially charged it had to jump from iOS 11 to 11.4.. anyways now I'm just going to charge it from 0 to 100 without using it and vice versa when its fully charged to hopefully get it properly calibrated and not see this issue again. In the settings the battery health is listed as 100% as well and the phone doesn't heat up for no good reason so the hardware should be fine. I'l update on this later.

Edit 1: Many SE users are experiencing the same thing on 11.4 hmmm.. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/11-4-se-fast-battery-drain.2120873/page-5
Just a tip but iPhone batteries don’t need to be calibrated and they actually CANT be calibrated. I read this from someone from Apple if I recall.

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
Just a tip but iPhone batteries don’t need to be calibrated and they actually CANT be calibrated. I read this from someone from Apple if I recall.

Ive pretty much played it safe on my all my devices including Android until now.. its definitely lookin like a iOS 11.4 prob for the SE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.