Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Good evening all!

I'm currently running 10.3.3 on my iPhone SE and have so far avoided upgrading on the basis of all the horror stories I have read about online.

However, with the release of 11.2.1, I'm now reconsidering this. I would like to factory reset my device, but I can't do that without installing iOS 11 at the same time (or at least, I'm fairly sure I can't). I'd like to do this to fix 1). the perennial "wi-fi keeps dropping out" issue, and 2). a new issue whereby my device emits random "peep" sounds whilst on silent. Fun.

So. What I'm after are some user experiences from other SE users. This is my second SE (or rather, a refurbished model, about 4 months old).

I'd appreciate any comments on:
  • Battery usage - this is obviously user-specific, but has your battery life changed much according to your "way of working" since moving to iOS 11?
  • Device performance - general system performance/lag etc.
  • Improvements between 11 and 11.2.1 - has the upgrade cycle ironed out problems/made them worse/created new problems?

Appreciate that much of this is device/usage specific, but I'd like as broad a range of views as possible before doing the upgrade.

Cheers very muchly!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’m most curious about how painful or painless the huge UI with huge banners and everything huge is on a 4” screen

My SE resting on 10.2

At this rate skipping iOS 11 all together since I missed the jailbreak boat and don’t wanna have battery potentially decimated

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You can reset the device by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.

It doesn't change the OS version.

Reactions: jeremiah256

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm keeping my SE on 10.2 - Might even skip 11 altogether honestly.

I was at a holiday party and a friend there had his SE on 11 (not sure which point release) and it was laggy and he was endlessly complaining about it (not a tech guy at all - just really hated how 11 was on his SE and wished he hadn't upgraded).

So - That's my only data point and it was enough to keep me away (plus I love JB and 10.2 is just fantastic for me)

Unless you are really excited about something like Apple Pay Cash or there is a critical app update that's iOS 11 only that you need - I just don't see the upside vs staying on a great release (if you like where you are)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm keeping my SE on 10.2 - Might even skip 11 altogether honestly.

I was at a holiday party and a friend there had his SE on 11 (not sure which point release) and it was laggy and he was endlessly complaining about it (not a tech guy at all - just really hated how 11 was on his SE and wished he hadn't upgraded).

So - That's my only data point and it was enough to keep me away (plus I love JB and 10.2 is just fantastic for me)

Unless you are really excited about something Apple Pay Cash or there is a critical app update that's iOS 11 only that you need - I just don't see the upside vs staying on a great release (if you like where you are)

When non tech people find faults, you got a big problem! (In general)

I keep forgetting SE is still sold at Apple store. Could always test it on there but not the best indication of battery life or long term problems

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
When non tech people find faults, you got a big problem! (In general)

That's my takeaway also..

Right when iOS 11 came out, my 80 year old uncle was commenting to me, unsolicited, asking "what happened to iOS!?" with the 11 update...

Very odd for him to make such a mention as he's really easy going.

Reactions: thadoggfather

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
My son has a 5SE and I've been upgrading it as I upgraded mine. So he's been on iOS 11 since it was released. He's had no problems and the past few days I've been playing with it because I miss the form factor (I have a 7+). It was extremely smooth and I was surprised at how nice and fast it was. Opening and switching apps and just general usage.

Can't comment about battery other than my son says he hasn't noticed any difference in battery. I guess that's what happens when you just use the phone.

Reactions: Christoffee

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
My son has a 5SE and I've been upgrading it as I upgraded mine. So he's been on iOS 11 since it was released. He's had no problems and the past few days I've been playing with it because I miss the form factor (I have a 7+). It was extremely smooth and I was surprised at how nice and fast it was. Opening and switching apps and just general usage.

Can't comment about battery other than my son says he hasn't noticed any difference in battery. I guess that's what happens when you just use the phone.

Does he have a 5S or SE?
Not sure what you mean by 5SE..

UL2RA

Suspended
May 7, 2017
My father has an SE and it's buttery smooth on the latest version of iOS 11. Can't tell a difference in speed from iOS 10 at all.

Reactions: Christoffee

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
Thank you all for your comments so far - all useful!

The tension for me this that it's so personal - some people are quite legitimately loving it; others are equally legitimately hating it.

If there were a way to return to iOS 10, I'd try it out in a heartbeat. It's one hell of a gamble for something that may/may not work. The only possible I suppose is that I do still have 8 months of warranty left... I suppose I could upgrade and it is truly horrific, claim for a replacement... which seems somewhat mercenary...

My reason for thinking about upgrading is two-fold:

1). My OCD doesn't like constant red dot in 'Settings'
2). Security updates - I've not got the new wi-fi protect stuff
3). Niggles with iOS 10.3.3 on my device (see my OP for those)

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
A lot of non tech people simply dislike changes. They will complain everytime a new version is released because they find it hard to relearn how to use the device.

How have you found the iOS 11 experience? And what device are you running it on?

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
How have you found the iOS 11 experience? And what device are you running it on?
I'm an Android user, for now at least :rolleyes:

I help a lot of non tech family members and friends with their electronic devices running iOS or Android and the type of comments I hear the most after most updates, including iOS 11 is along the lines of "Why do they keep changing things? It was fine before they updated it." I rarely hear anything about battery life and even less about performance, even on older devices.

Last edited:

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
My SE is on 11.1.2 and seems to run the same as it did on 10.3.3. The exception is Safari, where scrolling is now WAY smoother than it used to be. Worth the upgrade to me. Doubt I'll update my 6 past 10.3.3, though.

venomx999

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Uk
SE running 11.2.1

It's lightening fast, everything opens instantly.
Battery life is average, it lasts the day easily though

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
The problem with most of the views expressed on this forum (and most other phone forums) is that those views are expressed in EXTREMELY subjective terms. "Battery is worse", "phone is laggy", etc. Couple that with the fact that just about any "real life" measure of a phone's performance is HEAVILY dependent on user configuration and use patterns and what you end up with are a bunch of opinions that may or may not have any meaning for anyone other than the writer.

I see many opinions out there that "iOS 11.x is a disaster" or words to that effect. However, that is the exact opposite of my iPhone SE experience. I have not experienced ANY lag at all on any 11.x version and my battery life is excellent. I tend to discount measures of battery life with screen on since there are far too many variables. But I do pay attention to battery life in standby since that can be better controlled. With push disabled, background refresh off, WiFi and bluetooth on and strong cell and WiFi signal strengths, the absolute WORST I have ever seen was 1%/hour overnight. Lately on 11.1 and up, that has dropped to about 0.5%/hour. For a 1700 mAH battery, I think that is pretty danged respectable. By comparison, my similarly configured Nexus 5X (Android) and Lumia 950 (Windows) can't quite do that (they run about 0.8%/hour to 1%/hour overnight) and they have significantly larger batteries.

That said, for anyone contemplating upgrading without a downgrade path.... I feel your pain. I recently switched to the SE from an Android phone (the Nexus line) and I could easily upgrade, downgrade and sideways grade to/from any OEM or 3rd party Android version that was ever released for that phone. I do miss that. And with Android 7 and now 8, Android has matured to the point where I am totally happy with it. More so than iOS actually. However, the Android world has totally abandoned small affordable phones so when Best Buy had the iPhone SE for $149 (ATT) I decided to give Apple a try. Haven't regretted it so far.

Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: CoronaOrange

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
The problem with most of the views expressed on this forum (and most other phone forums) is that those views are expressed in EXTREMELY subjective terms. "Battery is worse", "phone is laggy", etc. Couple that with the fact that just about any "real life" measure of a phone's performance is HEAVILY dependent on user configuration and use patterns and what you end up with are a bunch of opinions that may or may not have any meaning for anyone other than the writer.

I see many opinions out there that "iOS 11.x is a disaster" or words to that effect. However, that is the exact opposite of my iPhone SE experience. I have not experienced ANY lag at all on any 11.x version and my battery life is excellent. I tend to discount measures of battery life with screen on since there are far too many variables. But I do pay attention to battery life in standby since that can be better controlled. With push disabled, background refresh off, WiFi and bluetooth on and strong cell and WiFi signal strengths, the absolute WORST I have ever seen was 1%/hour overnight. Lately on 11.1 and up, that has dropped to about 0.5%/hour. For a 1700 mAH battery, I think that is pretty danged respectable. By comparison, my similarly configured Nexus 5X (Android) and Lumia 950 (Windows) can't quite do that (they run about 0.8%/hour to 1%/hour overnight) and they have significantly larger batteries.

That said, for anyone contemplating upgrading without a downgrade path.... I feel your pain. I recently switched to the SE from an Android phone (the Nexus line) and I could easily upgrade, downgrade and sideways grade to/from any OEM or 3rd party Android version that was ever released for that phone. I do miss that. And with Android 7 and now 8, Android has matured to the point where I am totally happy with it. More so than iOS actually. However, the Android world has totally abandoned small affordable phones so when Best Buy had the iPhone SE for $149 (ATT) I decided to give Apple a try. Haven't regretted it so far.

Paul

Paul, thank you very much for your detailed thoughts.

There are certainly a lot of user reports of iOS 11 causing problems on a multiplicity of devices; the fact that Apple has rolled out so many patches since release would appear to support the fact that issues have been/are still present (although one might well - and fairly - argue that the rapid release of updates demonstrates maturity and responsiveness to user feedback). That said, there also seem to be a fair number of people that are satisfied with the iOS 11 experience - and perhaps it's only logical that those who are experiencing problems will be more vocal than those who are not on the basis that they would like Apple to take notice and find a fix for them. None of which accounts for the fact that, as you say, user feedback will be entirely subjective and based on way of working. Just my two cents - may or may not be the case.

The biggest issue for me is a lack of a downgrade path. I would happily update my device to iOS 11 and give it a fair try, even put up with minor gripes in terms of responsiveness and battery if I knew that I could get back to iOS 10. But as I understand it, even with the iOS 10 file (sic?) from the Apple servers, this isn't possible as 10 is no longer being signed. Am I a power user as far as my phone is concerned? No. Would I be able to deal with charging every evening (at the moment, a full charge will normally get me through two days - just, definitely at 1/2% at the end of day 2)? Yes, probably. Would I be able to deal with a low performance, unresponsive OS? Definitely not. Is this situation likely to improve with subsequent iOS releases? And therein lies the crux - will older devices fair any better on say iOS 11.3.3 than they do at the moment on 11.2.1, as the software becomes increasingly demanding and complicated? And even then, what does that mean? Does it mean "go for it, waiting for later releases won't make a difference", or "stick on iOS 10 - it's smooth and it works. Just watch out for wi-fi hackers!". Short answer; no idea!
[doublepost=1513856638][/doublepost]I help a lot of non tech family members and friends with their electronic devices running iOS or Android and the type of comments I hear the most after most updates, including iOS 11 is along the lines of "Why do they keep changing things? It was fine before they updated it." I rarely hear anything about battery life and even less about performance, even on older devices.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Thank you for this!
[doublepost=1513856700][/doublepost]
My SE is on 11.1.2 and seems to run the same as it did on 10.3.3. The exception is Safari, where scrolling is now WAY smoother than it used to be. Worth the upgrade to me. Doubt I'll update my 6 past 10.3.3, though.

Interesting. May I ask why?

As I understand it, the SE is basically the 6, but in the smaller form factor.

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
My SE 64gb came with iOS 9.3.x last June, and has gone through every version until 11.2.1 today. All updates/upgrades were done with ipsw files and iTunes. The only problem I've noticed was the generally wonky autocorrect (not just the I.T bug) in 11.0. But it got sorted out by 11.1.1. Everything else is fine.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
My SE 64gb came with iOS 9.3.x last June, and has gone through every version until 11.2.1 today. All updates/upgrades were done with ipsw files and iTunes. The only problem I've noticed was the generally wonky autocorrect (not just the I.T bug) in 11.0. But it got sorted out by 11.1.1. Everything else is fine.

Thank you - very useful.

My device is also the 64GB model, and also from June last year (or at least, the first one was. This is refurbished, so battery and case are 4 months old. No idea about the innards!).

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
For me, my SE feels the most complete it has done since launch day with iOS 11.

The animations and more uniform UI work very well for me. The gradual slow-down when you tap the top of the screen to scroll to the top of a Safari page or Settings screen etc is really very nice, as is the increased scrolling speed in Safari.

Control Centre shortcuts are great (Timer lengths and Torch/Flashlight brightness particularly).

iOS 11 has made me like my SE even more than when I first got it.

No changes in system performance for me. It’s still smooth and fast.

New2Mac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
UK
For me, my SE feels the most complete it has done since launch day with iOS 11.

The animations and more uniform UI work very well for me. The gradual slow-down when you tap the top of the screen to scroll to the top of a Safari page or Settings screen etc is really very nice, as is the increased scrolling speed in Safari.

Control Centre shortcuts are great (Timer lengths and Torch/Flashlight brightness particularly).

iOS 11 has made me like my SE even more than when I first got it.

No changes in system performance for me. It’s still smooth and fast.

Thank you very much - very useful feedback.
[doublepost=1513861156][/doublepost]
It's actually like the 6s, which has quite an increase in processing power.

Oh of course. That makes plenty of sense. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.