iPhone SE is asymmetrical -- one corner has 1mm bulge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gladoscc, Apr 12, 2016.

1. gladoscc macrumors 6502

Just confirmed my suspicions that all iPhone SEs have an additional 1mm bulge on the top right corner. (It's the part above the aluminium edge, the top right corner sticks out 2mm versus 1mm everywhere else).

It is a smooth, slight transition and given the position I suspect it's to make room for the 6S camera. Most people probably won't notice this, but the front corner casing extension is probably enough to prevent a back camera bulge.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm OCD and cannot unsee after measuring. I checked some Apple Store display units and they have the same bulge, so it's probably part of the design. #sneakyive

2. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I seriously doubt they made the phone crooked.

3. Z3man macrumors 6502a

When i first read this i though what a load of bollocks, but on closer inspection with a magnifying glass i think you are right, but it is nowhere near a millimetre different, more like 0.25-0.50 of a millimetre. You really have to look closely to spot it and i think you are the only person in the world that has.

Very well done - Bulgegate.

4. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

My SE slides perfectly into a form-fitting iP5 case with no tolerances, so seems unlikely.

5. x34 macrumors 6502

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Maybe the NSA intercepted your phone and planted a spy chip in it. Any reason why you might be on a watch list?

7. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Put a case on it...non-issue.

8. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Wow! I thought I was an overly detailed person! I'm amazed that you noticed that small of a difference.

9. Z3man macrumors 6502a

Bulge is so small it will make no difference when fitting a case, you need a magnifying glass to spot it. It is a total non issue.

10. gladoscc thread starter macrumors 6502

Absolutely it is a non issue. But it just goes to tell how clever and creative Apple's industrial design is. Not enough space? Make it slightly asymmetrical.

11. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

Maybe a doctor would be of more help than postings on this forum.

12. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Am I the only one that can't find any evidence of this and assumes the OP either has an issue with his phone or is simply making up an issue to cater to his own obsessive tendencies?

13. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

14. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

15. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Nice try. Apple's tech specs clearly show 2.31". Don't spread misinformation.

16. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

17. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

18. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Did you use a micrometer for precision measurement?

19. Gudi macrumors 68020

Gudi

How did you confirm this, by measuring all iPhone SEs in the world?

20. gladoscc thread starter macrumors 6502

By working off a relatively small but statistically significant sample size. Observe your iPhone SE closely, you'll notice it too like other people in this thread.

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Your eyes lie; I don't care how statistically significant you think your roommates and their buddies are. You need a legitimately accurate measuring tool: a micrometer.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What are your specific measurements along the phone. You're making a statement that the phone has a variance of 1mm size difference. I think providing the measurements will help your case immensely. Just looking at your phone will not suffice because of the lack of specific measurements.

24. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Roommates and buddies? You might be overestimating the sample size there. ;)

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I always try to give folks the benefit of the doubt. I was figuring polling roommates, classmates, buddies, and family equalled somewhere in the neighborhood of <6 SE's all of which were eye-balled very carefully for a few seconds before also being declared "bulgey."