iPhone SE is asymmetrical -- one corner has 1mm bulge

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Just confirmed my suspicions that all iPhone SEs have an additional 1mm bulge on the top right corner. (It's the part above the aluminium edge, the top right corner sticks out 2mm versus 1mm everywhere else).

It is a smooth, slight transition and given the position I suspect it's to make room for the 6S camera. Most people probably won't notice this, but the front corner casing extension is probably enough to prevent a back camera bulge.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm OCD and cannot unsee after measuring. I checked some Apple Store display units and they have the same bulge, so it's probably part of the design. #sneakyive

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
When i first read this i though what a load of bollocks, but on closer inspection with a magnifying glass i think you are right, but it is nowhere near a millimetre different, more like 0.25-0.50 of a millimetre. You really have to look closely to spot it and i think you are the only person in the world that has.

Very well done - Bulgegate.

dcpmark

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
My SE slides perfectly into a form-fitting iP5 case with no tolerances, so seems unlikely.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Just confirmed my suspicions that all iPhone SEs have an additional 1mm bulge on the top right corner. (It's the part above the aluminium edge, the top right corner sticks out 2mm versus 1mm everywhere else).

It is a smooth, slight transition and given the position I suspect it's to make room for the 6S camera. Most people probably won't notice this, but the front corner casing extension is probably enough to prevent a back camera bulge.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm OCD and cannot unsee after measuring. I checked some Apple Store display units and they have the same bulge, so it's probably part of the design. #sneakyive
Put a case on it...non-issue.

Reactions: LiveM

PaladinGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
Wow! I thought I was an overly detailed person! I'm amazed that you noticed that small of a difference.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Absolutely it is a non issue. But it just goes to tell how clever and creative Apple's industrial design is. Not enough space? Make it slightly asymmetrical.

matt_on_a_mtn

Suspended
Mar 25, 2016
Am I the only one that can't find any evidence of this and assumes the OP either has an issue with his phone or is simply making up an issue to cater to his own obsessive tendencies?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014

Did you use a micrometer for precision measurement?

Reactions: Oper8tor and Arran

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
How did you confirm this, by measuring all iPhone SEs in the world?
By working off a relatively small but statistically significant sample size. Observe your iPhone SE closely, you'll notice it too like other people in this thread.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Your eyes lie; I don't care how statistically significant you think your roommates and their buddies are. You need a legitimately accurate measuring tool: a micrometer.

Reactions: Arran

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Observe your iPhone SE closely, you'll notice it too like other people in this thread.
What are your specific measurements along the phone. You're making a statement that the phone has a variance of 1mm size difference. I think providing the measurements will help your case immensely. Just looking at your phone will not suffice because of the lack of specific measurements.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Roommates and buddies? You might be overestimating the sample size there. ;)
I always try to give folks the benefit of the doubt. I was figuring polling roommates, classmates, buddies, and family equalled somewhere in the neighborhood of <6 SE's all of which were eye-balled very carefully for a few seconds before also being declared "bulgey."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.