Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
If Apple releases iPhone 12 with built-in TouchID then it's possible that the next SE will be similar to XR but with TouchID instead of FaceID.

Reactions: compwiz1202

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Battery case for my 8+ arrived DOA from eBay. I’m not going to keep trying to get one that works. Never had to return something to eBay, so I think I’ll take the $21 loss and move on.

Very seriously considering a new SE with Apple battery case. I have been reading reviews of battery cases and the vast majority of them are absolute trash and only last a few months. Live and learn.

Edit: Looks like the new SE is selling like mad, and it’s nearly a month out. Guess I’ll have to keep this 8+ tethered to my portable battery at work.

Last edited:

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
I can definitely see an iPhone SE Plus happening, although it was quite strange for Apple not to release it simultaneously with the new SE. You'll have a small phone and big phone in all pricing categories to cater to all audiences.

Cheapest iPhone: iPhone SE - iPhone SE Plus

Mid-Range iPhone: iPhone 12 5.4" - iPhone 12 6.1"

Premium High-End iPhone: iPhone 12 Pro 6.1" - iPhone 12 Pro 6.7"

And then maybe throw in the iPhone 11 in the mix temporarily? But eventually that will be the complete line up and it makes complete sense.

Reactions: Locke Cole

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
I can definitely see an iPhone SE Plus happening, although it was quite strange for Apple not to release it simultaneously with the new SE. You'll have a small phone and big phone in all pricing categories to cater to all audiences.

Cheapest iPhone: iPhone SE - iPhone SE Plus

Mid-Range iPhone: iPhone 12 5.4" - iPhone 12 6.1"

Premium High-End iPhone: iPhone 12 Pro 6.1" - iPhone 12 Pro 6.7"

And then maybe throw in the iPhone 11 in the mix temporarily? But eventually that will be the complete line up and it makes complete sense.

Yeah, it's definitely peculiar that Apple didn't release the SE Plus alongside the 2nd Gen SE and may release it as late as sometime next year. It's something they've never done before until now.

Regarding small and large phones in all pricing categories that could actually be a sensible solution. Some people prefer larger phones but don't want to spend that much (they're on tight-ish budgets). And then there's also people who prefer not to have Face ID or notched devices. It's certainly an option for as long as the 2nd Gen SE and SE Plus will be sold by Apple and fully supported. Used 8 and 8+ models are an option too for those with tighter budgets as they'll also remain fully supported for a while yet and undoubtedly cost less. Just gotta exercise caution though in the case of buying used devices. Having a blacklisted, iCloud locked, carrier locked, shattered, or <75% battery health device probably isn't gonna be too fun.

Last edited:

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
SE Plus would be very attractive upgrade if it has dual cameras, night mode and smaller bezels with in-screen or power button/rear TouchID, it can skip FaceID and 5G to keep costs down.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
There is one telltale clue that something fishy is going on:
They discontinued the 8 Plus the day the SE2 was revealed.
That makes no sense at all because the 8 Plus is a very different phone.
My guess is because they want to dry up world wide stock of the 8 Plus to create some pent up demand so when the SE Plus drops in the future, everyone (who wants one) will clamor for it.
Those who say the Plus size phone has no purpose nowadays are missing the point. The whole point of a traditional Plus LCD screen is no OLED PWM flickering, 401 ppi and no notch (and bigger screen).
Yea agree it's crap everyone went out of stock on 8+ without an SE 2020+ Actually all the plusses are gone unless you buy privately :(
[automerge]1588967602[/automerge]
If Apple releases iPhone 12 with built-in TouchID then it's possible that the next SE will be similar to XR but with TouchID instead of FaceID.
I'll be on the apple.com site pumping refresh at the opening second if they release a large phone with under the screen TouchID.
[automerge]1588967661[/automerge]
SE Plus would be very attractive upgrade if it has dual cameras, night mode and smaller bezels with in-screen or power button/rear TouchID, it can skip FaceID and 5G to keep costs down.
I would go with no or concurrent FaceID, and only 5G if we actually have it here which I doubt for a bit.
[automerge]1588967853[/automerge]
Battery case for my 8+ arrived DOA from eBay. I’m not going to keep trying to get one that works. Never had to return something to eBay, so I think I’ll take the $21 loss and move on.

Very seriously considering a new SE with Apple battery case. I have been reading reviews of battery cases and the vast majority of them are absolute trash and only last a few months. Live and learn.

Edit: Looks like the new SE is selling like mad, and it’s nearly a month out. Guess I’ll have to keep this 8+ tethered to my portable battery at work.
Are they going to make an SE 2020 Smart Battery Case? Could use the 7, but it doesn't support wireless charging. Seems strange they never made one for the 8 since it was the first with wireless charging. Got the Mophie for the 8 and it is working good. Even works with CarPlay with the case on. I will have to keep reporting back monthly.

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Yea agree it's crap everyone went out of stock on 8+ without an SE 2020+ Actually all the plusses are gone unless you buy privately :(
[automerge]1588967602[/automerge]

I'll be on the apple.com site pumping refresh at the opening second if they release a large phone with under the screen TouchID.
[automerge]1588967661[/automerge]

I would go with no or concurrent FaceID, and only 5G if we actually have it here which I doubt for a bit.
[automerge]1588967853[/automerge]

Are they going to make an SE 2020 Smart Battery Case? Could use the 7, but it doesn't support wireless charging. Seems strange they never made one for the 8 since it was the first with wireless charging. Got the Mophie for the 8 and it is working good. Even works with CarPlay with the case on. I will have to keep reporting back monthly.
People are using the iPhone 7 battery case on the new SE

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Anything new on this phone? For the first time in my life, I dropped an iPhone and shattered the back (8+). So far it’s working fine, but if it died on me I’m not sure what I’d do. Mint 8+ still go for well over $300, which is a lot to ask for a 3 year old phone.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Anything new on this phone? For the first time in my life, I dropped an iPhone and shattered the back (8+). So far it’s working fine, but if it died on me I’m not sure what I’d do. Mint 8+ still go for well over $300, which is a lot to ask for a 3 year old phone.
Sorry to hear that about your phone, hope it doesn’t die on you. Unfortunately, I don‘t think there’s any news on the SE Plus, IIRC it’s to be expected in late 2021 (Assuming it’s still delayed, otherwise it may be in the first half of 2021).

Reactions: tonybarnaby

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Honestly, I don't see the point any longer.
I feel the same. If it was out beside the regular size, I would have snatched it. Maybe if masks are still a thing, and it has some feature that the regular one doesn't, I might consider upgrading.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I wish there were more solid info on the SE+. If it were out now, sure I would get one without hesitation. Even the newest SE is tempting.

But I am waiting on the new phones this September/October. If I don't see anything I like there, I wouldn't minding waiting for the SE+. Because right now my 8+ still works just fine.

I guess we shall see what happens in the coming months.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wish there were more solid info on the SE+

There is. Both Ming Kuo and Prosser made future claims. In terms of analyst making a prediction this far out, that’s bold, which I I’d say is likely to happen. The only thing that would change, is if there was retooling or Apple decide to scrap the SE Plus all together. They’re probably wouldn’t be that many ‘hardware parts that would leak, being it’s reusing a lot of the same chassis parts from previous designs, so this phone would probably be fairly discreet.

Reactions: brgjoe

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I dont think there will be a SE Plus per se, unless apple release a 8 plus chassis with an upgraded processor (A14?), and maybe 4gb RAM. This ‘SE plus’ that has been remoured with thinner bezels and in screen touch id etc, will in essence be a new phone from apple if this makes sense.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
There is. Both Ming Kuo and Prosser made future claims. In terms of analyst making a prediction this far out, that’s bold, which I I’d say is likely to happen. The only thing that would change, is if there was retooling or Apple decide to scrap the SE Plus all together. They’re probably wouldn’t be that many ‘hardware parts that would leak, being it’s reusing a lot of the same chassis parts from previous designs, so this phone would probably be fairly discreet.

There is no Plus model iPhone that is currently selling. So if iPhone SE is all about retooling, like first generation and current 4.7 inch iPhone SE, I would think iPhone SE plus will be iPhone XR type of thing again.

Here is what I think it going to happen:

1. September comes, Apple will announces iPhone 12series with all OLED screen. iPhone 11 line up will be discontinued. And iPhone XR will continue to be sold at other 100 dollars discount.

2. March 2021, Apple might introduce iPhone SE Plus with Apple A14 processor, 4GB RAM in the shape of iPhone XR. This of course will still be IPS panel found on iPhone XR.

Of course, this is my assumptions. But I do not think iPhone 8 Plus type of iPhone SE Plus will happens. Unless Apple still have old plus components in inventory.

Reactions: snipr125

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I dont think there will be a SE Plus per se, unless apple release a 8 plus chassis with an upgraded processor (A14?), and maybe 4gb RAM. This ‘SE plus’ that has been remoured with thinner bezels and in screen touch id etc, will in essence be a new phone from apple if this makes sense.

The Co-existence of Touch ID and Face ID are far more likely on the same device. Apple separating both biometric options on a new iPhone moving forward is a Reality given masking and having a fingerprint is almost a necessity, but the technology has to be supporting that for that to happen.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The Co-existence of Touch ID and Face ID are far more likely on the same device. Apple separating both biometric options on a new iPhone moving forward is a Reality given masking and having a fingerprint is almost a necessity, but the technology has to be supporting that for that to happen.
If they release a device with full screen and either in screen or power button touch ID. I will be pumping refresh on the Apple Store in the minutes before preorder!

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
If they release a device with full screen and either in screen or power button touch ID. I will be pumping refresh on the Apple Store in the minutes before preorder!

yes definitely, but apple better do the right thing and have the front camera in a minimum bezel and not some dewdrop style notch!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve been contemplating getting either the rumored SE plus or an 8 plus to use as an iPad mini mini (I have an SE1 as my phone). Leaning toward the SE plus since it will have much more longevity. The 8 plus has 3D Touch though which I love and would like to use while I still can. If the SE plus is probably not coming out until next year then I might grab an 8 plus if I see a decent deal. They seem to be hard to find unattached to carrier plans.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I’ve been contemplating getting either the rumored SE plus or an 8 plus to use as an iPad mini mini (I have an SE1 as my phone). Leaning toward the SE plus since it will have much more longevity. The 8 plus has 3D Touch though which I love and would like to use while I still can. If the SE plus is probably not coming out until next year then I might grab an 8 plus if I see a decent deal. They seem to be hard to find unattached to carrier plans.
Not seen any Apple refurbished for weeks. If you can get an 8 plus at the right price I'd go for that now. SE Plus, if coming, is at least 6 months away.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Bad news. I saw a story today that claimed no SE in 2021, but rather 2022. It didn’t specify Plus or not, but I’m wondering if that means the SE Plus that some of us are waiting for.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Bad news. I saw a story today that claimed no SE in 2021, but rather 2022. It didn’t specify Plus or not, but I’m wondering if that means the SE Plus that some of us are waiting for.
Yep, looks like the timeline for SE 3 is 2022. Which makes sense considering how many different iPhones Apple now sells from XR through to 12PM. They have every price point covered. So if you need an LCD phone now the very best option is the 11.

Reactions: tonybarnaby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.