Iphone SE Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly800, Mar 22, 2016.

1. pauly800 macrumors regular

How much would this cost unlocked? Does anyone know the price?

When does it come out when you could order it? When will you receive it by? Order it online and get it soon and how soon?

I'm most likely going to get a iphone 5s on ebay but curious about this since iphone SE is same size as the iphone 4s which i like.

2. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

Yes the 16gb is $399, and the 64 gb is $499

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

4. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Why is there no 32gb?

Also looking at those prices, would you say getting 32gb iphone 5s for around $350 is probably a horrible idea?

What site are you all ordering it at? If i order it online the first day available, then I will get it on March 31st or few days after that? I also assume anyone with the iphone 5s case won't need a new case since this is same case? Thanks.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Because for many iPhone users 16gb is enough.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

A lot of "maybe" reasons. Some theorize this would cannibalism their 64gb sales. 16 and 32 GB chips are damn near the same price in the quantities we are talking so it's not about anything but projected profits in my eyes.

If you're OK buying a 5s, go for it. I wouldn't pay over $200 for a 5s at this point. In terms of performance this phone will run circles around that 5s. Not saying it's a bad phone, but it's 2.5 years old. You'll start feeling that.

The case.leaksnwe have seen showed cases were slightly different. This may not be an issue. Differences were pretty minor. That said, I wouldn't get a waterproof case designed for the 5s and rely on it protecting you from water. Aside from that I'm betting you'll be just fine.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

The iPhone 5SE is more future proof. It has the internals of an iPhone 6S, plus 2GB of going to be huge going forward...especially since we don't know how iOS 10 is going to be. It all depends. I can manage 16GB because I relay on cloud for pictures/videos, I stream music and don't use many apps. So, I tend to have around 7GB free on a 16GB iPhone. I have a 32GB Nexus 6P, and have only use 3GB. Lol.

8. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

I would be paying around $350 for the iphone 5s on ebay. So basically this is a horrible idea then? It says its new and the seller has extremely good feedback... only 2 bad feedback from maybe over 30k sales. Mentions its new but only reason why its 9/10 is because of testing.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    Okay so basically you can purchase it online on March 24th. What site do you buy this on? Only apple.com? Or you could do this with amazon and other sites? And if so, what sites?

You mention it will start shipping march 31. Does anyone know how long it would take to receive it based on prior history with old iphones? Will it take a week at least? So you could go to apple store on March 31 and buy the iphone SE right? But there would be a huge waiting line if thats the case? So basically if you want the phone as quick as possible just go to apple store on march 31 since you would get it that day? Or theres a chance it will be all sold out? Do you have to wait in a long line as well like black friday etc where its super long lines? Im talking about getting this iphone at apple store in new york city.

Appreciate it.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I didn't say it was a horrible idea. And I can't really spend your money for you, if you know what I mean. If 32gb is your number on criteria then I guess it's fine. For $50 more you can get a phone that is so much faster and has so much additional projected battery life that it's a no brainer in my eyes. But it's easy for me to day spend the extra $50 for the SE or spend the extra $150 for the 64gb SE. Of $350 is all you have, the phone will work. It just won't be the powerhouse the 6s is or for as long.

Consider the following (improvements over the 5s):
    About 25% longer battery life
    Vastly superior camera
    More than double the processing speed
    Apple pay

This is why I call it a no brainer. But again, I don't know how much financial stress this would place on you. I'd rather make 16gb work with the SE than got with a 5s of you were to ask me that.
    I'll add if the phone is new I wouldn't worry about it being an eBay sale. You can always take the phone into apple and run a diagnostic. Say you got it used. They can tell you if it comes back as containing third party hardware. You're probably sage buying on eBay. That wouldn't really concern me as much as how long that 5s would last me into the future before becoming a laggy frustrating device.
    Buying from Apple you will get it on launch day. If lucky, sooner. Carriers try and achieve this too but they get less stock than apple gives hens elves by far.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

350 for a 5s would not be a good buy, then again, if you are on a deadline...

11. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the long response. Here is the thing. I don't have a money issue for the iphone. Thus i don't mind spending 399 for the new one as oppose to 350 for the old iphone. The thing is i currently have an iphone 4s that i bought a few years ago that was used on ebay. It was basically very good condition... close to excellent. I used it for quite some time and it was excellent. Then i had it for a while, phone had huge issues with the battery. I then got a replacement for it ... paid i think 35 at a phone shop that installs new battery etc. I then tried battery and it was okay but not great. Then after a while, tons of issues. Phone goes out at 60 plus percent now. With my old battery, it went out at 18 percent which was still bad. But this iphone 4s... some reason i used youtube watching for 2 hours... battery stayed at 100 percent. So basically once battery is at 60 percent, it will close. Thus i recharge it to wall... then you see 60 plus percent. First off, would you say thats pretty similar to regular battery then? Instead of it going down the battery when using, it stay at 100 percent for quite some time. Its some glitch i think?

I also have issue where i can no longer connect iphone into my laptop and doesnt recognize. Reason is b/c it doesnt seem to connect straight to the 30 pin connector? Not sure exact name but imagine you connect the usb cable to the iphone. It doesn't fully go in. Its like crooked... Someone tells me reason is because that person who installed new battery probably damaged it. Do you think thats the case? But i recall i didn't had this issue though i never paid very close attention to see if the usb did went fully into my iphone. But i was sure i could still connect my iphone to my laptop and it recognize. As of now, i can however connect my usb to the iphone though not fully... yet connect to that plug that connects to the wall outlet. Thats only way i can recharge my iphone.

So if i dont have the battery issue and that can't connect iphone to laptop because it doesn't go in fully... thats why i considered getting an iphone 5s. Someone tells me well you probably have to repair that 30 pin connector which is the dock right? Said that cost probably 75 dollars. Then a new battery would cost another 35. Labor would be another amount. So basically if i want to repair my iphone 4s, thats probably going to cost me 150 dollars? Curious if you know how much it cost to fix that dock if thats my issue. Just strange that i can still charge my iphone to the wall... since it doesnt connect perfectly to the iphone... and of course it doesnt connect to laptop.

The other thing is i would get the iphone SE only if i know i can get it soon as possible. Example, if i was told release date was the 24th, no issue... i would get that. But because someone mention its march 31st, if i could get it march 31st thats fine. But if it takes say 1 more week... well i have an issue with. Have a time constraint issue.

So based on this, what would you say my best plan is? I know i posted quite a bit. If my iphone 4s had no issses with battery and connecting correctly to my iphone where it recognize in my laptop, most likely i wouldn't even upgrade to another phone. Thing is i dont do much on my iphone anyway. But i don't like how it lags a lot etc as well.

Would appreciate you advice on this. And yes the money issue isn't a problem here. If im paying 350 for iphone 5s... when you say the iphone SE is better than iphone 5s in every way and for 16gb its 399, its a no brainer. Thus even though i would never use 64 gb... my current iphone only used up... i see 8gb used and 4.4 available. The thing is since my iphone got updated to ios 9 the latest version, is that why i have so much gb not available? My iphone 4s has 16gb and im sure the last time i checked... i had at least 10gb still available. This is before those app updates...

So based on this, would you say 16gb is already too little if my current iphone shows this?

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

As far as the 30 pin, you can get it yourself on ifixit for $20. If you're comfortable opening the phone yourself you just saves $15 and labor. It's not hard but also not something I would do if I never opened any small electronic before.

As far as the price concern, I wouldn't even be considering a 5s if money is not an issue.

About the storage, iOS 9 is supposed to use less space than 8 before it. But if you're not struggling with the dance, it sounds like you've lived with the space for long enough that I wouldn't expect it to be an issue. Plenty of people get by just fine on 16gb particularly if they don't take pictures and videos and don't store much media on their devices. I could get by with 16gb myself if my phone wasn't my main camera and camcorder. As it stands I'm using about 30gb and that's with 6 months of videos and pictures loaded.

If you're asking what I would do, I'd just go with the 16gb SE personally. It sounds like that would meet your needs and will undoubtedly last your two plus years based on how the 6s performs. If you're thinking of taking many pictures abd/or videos (the SE has a very nice camera) then bump it to that 64gb just to give yourself the wiggle room.

13. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there. I have never opened a small electronic before. I am not tech savy at all. So basically i would have to go to a place in order to do this. But any place that repairs iphone should already have all this available and the battery etc right? I assume them installing the pin and the battery probably takes no more than 1 hour? How long did it take you?

Okay looks like i will most likely go with the SE then. My main issue though is i have to get it as soon as possible. Thus get it on march 31 when it first come out right? Is there chance it sold out etc?

You would still say i should get my iphone 4s fixed right since i have the pin issue and the battery issue? Thus if i were to sell it later on or whatnot, then do that? Or its not even worth getting it fixed. The other thing is would you estimate it to be around $150 to get it fixed when you factor in everything? Thus going to a phone repair shop and then they replace the 30 pin thing and then put in new battery etc? Then again... i took a look at iphone 4s on ebay and price its like 190 dollars new...

So what is the best option here? Should i not even bother getting this dock issue fixed for my iphone 4s and just buy the SE?
    If i were to go to a repair shop to get the dock pin replaced and of course have them do it... how much would that cost? Someone mentioned $75... is that accurate?

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They should have it all. I was more commenting on price from a third party versus buying online. An hour should be sufficient. A person who does these things daily will probably be done in much less time than that though. For me it would boil down to whether it is worth it to even invest. I'd try and sell it, you may even get close to $100 for it, making your 64GB jump "free" for the SE!

Always a chance of selling out, however the 6s and 6s plus were better stocked than ever before this year (a lot of people spuclated sales were down, but they were actually better than ever. Apple simply had more ready. Considering this is using older tooling techniques and even an older screen tech, I imagine Apple might likely meet initial demand pretty well. I'd still wait until midnight though. If you are buying from Apple it should go live midnight PST on the 24th. I am guessing the rose gold will be the hot item again. Apple will have estimates on shipping dates at checkout and they will overnight the phone to you. Barring some natural disaster you are guaranteed to receive on the 31st via fedex (in the US) or, if lucky, even sooner!

If your goal is to sell it, I would just sell as is. People are often willing to repair things thsemselves, and someone doing this on their own could do it for something like $50-70 with cheaper parts. You are unlikely to see the return of your investment in getting it repaired if you are taking it to a shop.
    My opinion, as stated above, is to just sell the used phone as is unless you plan on keeping it as a backup or giving it to someone.

For just the dock connector I'd call under $50 fair. $75 seems kind of steep to me, but I honestly don't know what kinds of money repair shops charge hourly. To be honest, that's probably right. Many places charge $50-100 an hour in labor, depending on where you go, be that electronics or car parts. You may even find someone on craigslist who does this kind of work. I know locally there are shops that list their services on craigslist where the owner essentially does the work through CL "off the books" for some under the table cash.

It's all a matter of opinion, largely, but as you mentioned, a brand new 4s is $190... investing almost half of that to repair just the port doesn't seem like a wise expenditure of your money.

15. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the very detailed response. I did not consider selling my iphone 4s. That thought never came to me actually for some reason. Well i do want it as a backup phone in case. Would you say the worst thing to do is pay to get the iphone 4s repaired... then get the iphone SE? Well obviously the worst is getting it repaired then getting the 5s.

I looked at the iphone se online. I just want the silver or white color.

Well if i order it on march 24th, it says shipping will start on march 31st. So they would be shipping it from where to my address in new york? Thing is i thought.. okay if i ship it march 31st, it usually takes up to a week right/ Or when you order it march 24th, it will tell you the expected date you going to receive the iphone at checkout?
    So people have been able to receive the iphone before the expected ship date? Thats why you say sometimes people receive it sooner?

If i were to go to apple store to buy it, do i have to get there very early? Is there going to be long line? Or can i just come and get it one pretty easily based on what happened before with old iphones.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I get the feeling that you are attached to the 4s in some way. Nothing wrong with that, but I would say do what feels right. Sounds like getting it repaired and getting an SE is your ultimate desire; go for it! :)

If I were you I'd get an SE, sell the 4s, and worry about a backup if and when I needed it. FWIW I am the same way with phone insurance. I;d rather throw $10-ish aside monthly in case I need to use it in the future rather than drop $100 down up front for Apple care. I;ve saved enough money not buying Apple care over the years to buy a brand new top of the line iPhone. In short, I am already ahead.

As far as shipping, they have always done overnight on phone launches. I suppose worst case is a week, but i don't really expect that.

As far as the Apple store, it's tough to say. This isn't a flagship device. We don't have a good idea of stock (though I expect it would be plentiful, to be honest, especially if not picky about color). Apple stores inside malls also often don't allow waiting in line earlier than 6am. If you plan on getting in line I would ask what their plans are (often they will open two hours early on launch day too). Getting there a couple hours early, if you plan to get in line, is probably a good idea.

17. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i do like the iphone 4s.

Couldn't i buy it online and pick it up on the release date? If so how does that work?

18. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You preorder on Apple.com and at checkout you select the option "in-store pickup." It will be available at the Apple Store of your choosing on the 31st. Or you could have it shipped to you. It would ship to you before the 31st and be delivered to your door on the 31st. You will need to be home to sign for it.

19. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you can get a 5S at boost for $99

20. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there. Is this always the case that as long as i'm home on the 31st, i sign it then get the iphone?

So if you order it say march 26th, then there is a risk you won't receive it on the 31st? Someone said if you buy it on march 24th, then you will get it on the 31st.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Always the case? No. The case 99.5% of the time? Yup.

Yes, if you wait to order it after it is initially available, there's a chance you won't receive shipment on the 31st. However, this phone/situation is unique, so no one knows how much supply/demand will be here.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

All pre-order devices are shipped in a way that they are supposed to arrive on launch day. Apple is very good about this. Of course there can be some mixup but that is rather rare. Unless you have reason to suspect a shipment will be Kate to your address (due to bad FedEx experiences in the last or something) thus really isn't something to stress about.

The risk you take ordering later is apple running out of stock and not being able to fulfill your order in that time frame. If I recall correctly the 6s and 6s plus in all flavors except rose gold were still guaranteed on launch day the day after pre-orders went love. Rose gold took a few hours to start showing a week after launch delivery, and even that was amazing because this last launch was the first to not sell out launch day devices in minutes.

As was mentioned you always have the option of ordering store pickup. There is generally a separate lines set up for these orders and it's generally much shorter than the other line. That said, things still move rather slow so I wouldn't head there first thing in the morning if you do store pickup because you'll end up waiting. I'd go sometimes after 2-3pm but you're likely to just have your phone via FedEx by then.

Lastly, if you do order FedEx delivery, once you get a tracking number you can request FedEx hold it at their closest center. Centers generally.ooen around 9 am and they will allow pickup if you bring a photo ID with you.