Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Amazon is selling a used iPhone se for 295 Is that a good deal I want to get one so I can take it international to use in Argentina unlocked.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
You do know the seller must transfer the AppleCare+ to your name, right. It does not automatically stay with the phone. And since AppleCare+ for the phone is a two year program, you will have left something less than two years.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You do know the seller must transfer the AppleCare+ to your name, right. It does not automatically stay with the phone. And since AppleCare+ for the phone is a two year program, you will have left something less than two years.

Actually I thought Applecare plus stayed with the device.
No matter who brings it in can get service. I didn't know you had to transfer ownership and the name on the account.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Actually I thought Applecare plus stayed with the device.
No matter who brings it in can get service. I didn't know you had to transfer ownership and the name on the account.

I also thought AC+ went with the iPhone no matter who owned it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Interesting.
That links info is kinda confusing.
It says about transferring the ownership in order to transfer the coverage to other devices?
In regions that allow it?

"When we replace your device instead of repairing it, we’ll automatically transfer your plan to your new device."

Makes me feel that if you transfer ownership then you can transfer the coverage to another device, if you dont transfer ownership it will stay with the device since the device is covered and not who owns it.

If your country allows transfer of your AppleCare plan then:

Contact us.
Include the following:
  • The AppleCare agreement number
  • Copies of all sales receipts
  • The serial number for your Apple device
  • Your telephone number, email and mailing address

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
^^^ Yes, essentially AC+ coverage stays with the device by default, until the original owner transfers it to another device, or cancels it for a prorated refund. So if you are buying a used device with AC+, don't automatically assume it's yours to keep.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
^^^ Yes, essentially AC+ coverage stays with the device by default, until the original owner transfers it to another device, or cancels it for a prorated refund. So if you are buying a used device with AC+, don't automatically assume it's yours to keep.
On the last four phones my son and I have owned, we got back the second year of applecare+ when we traded them in for latestest phone. Simple phone call to Apple. AT&T gets back Next phone with no AppleCare+. You don't need the phone in your possession. Just the numbers and be the purchaser on record of the AppleCare+ policy.

Reactions: Applejuiced

mfldmike

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
You can get it at US Cellular unlocked right now for $199...of course you'll have to buy a month prepaid with it $35...but I walked out with one for $247...and now I use it on At&T

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Make sure it's unlocked, make sure the warranty/Applecare is world wide.

I don't want you to come back and post like this other guy "Travel to U.S., got this good deal, but now am home and have this problem and they can only fix me from the U.S." That would be penny wise, pound foolish.

Also this item is not handle by Amazon, Amazon in this case is just a listing agent like eBay, any problems, you have to deal with the vendor directly, don't know how much Amazon will assist you if problems.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.