Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrJogalog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
Hi.
Is there somebody with an unlocked iPhone SE able to test something for me please?

If you switch off your phone and remove the sim card before powering back on, it should show “No Sim” in the top left corner. If you then insert your sim while it is powered on, does it eventually (no longer than 2 minutes), recognise the sim and connect to the network?

The iPhone SE that I have here, only recognises the sim or sims if there is one in the phone when it is powered on. If it is inserted after it is powered on, it just stays at the “No Sim” status. That said, if the sim was in the phone when it was powered on, and I then remove it later (while still powered on), it does recognise it, or another sim, again if I re-insert it.

So, it only sees the sim cards if it was powered up with one. Is this correct and do others see the same?

In contrast, my 6+ can have a sim card inserted at anytime and it will see the card.

Thanks in advance!

Note. The phone is network unlocked and it makes no difference which networks card is used (U.K. carriers).

Last edited:

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I have an unlocked SE. With the phone powered on, I can remove and insert my sim at will and it recognizes it very quickly. No need for me to power off.

Hope that helps.

Additionally, I can power the phone up with no sim inserted. When I insert it, it recognizes it and connects to the network with no trouble.

Reactions: DrJogalog

DrJogalog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
I have an unlocked SE. With the phone powered on, I can remove and insert my sim at will and it recognizes it very quickly. No need for me to power off.

Hope that helps.

Additionally, I can power the phone up with no sim inserted. When I insert it, it recognizes it and connects to the network with no trouble.
Thanks. Thats really appreciated. Extracting and re-inserting is fine, it’s just when it’s powered on without one there seems to be an issue. It doesn’t make sense.

Auszero

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
I do not experience your issue. I can boot with no sim, then place a sim card in and the sim is recognized.

Reactions: DrJogalog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.