iPhone SE iPhone SE Touch ID practically non-existenant

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackxacto, Sep 17, 2017.

1. blackxacto macrumors 6502a

blackxacto

Does Touch ID work on anyone’s SE? My Touch ID has worked maybe 1% of the time THAT I use my new SE. In order to remain secure, I am forced to input 6 numbers practically EVERY TIME I want to use the iPhone SE. Four numbers was enough but the six are such a nuisance if I want to remain secure.

I have an iPad Pro. Touch ID works every time.

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Have never had an issue with Touch ID on the se other than not activating occasionally because i forget you have to press an actual button unlike the 7

3. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Works every time on my work SE, obviously slower than on my 6S...

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Works every time with my SE. You may want to try reinstalling the OS. If you have done that, make an appointment with the Genius Bar.

Also, make sure your finger isn't oily or wet and the button is clean.

5. timeconsumer, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

Try registering the same finger another time. Also, you can switch it back to four numbers if you prefer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204060

1. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. On devices without Touch ID, go to Settings > Passcode
    2. Tap Turn Passcode On.
    3. Enter a six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code.
    4. Enter your passcode again to confirm it and activate it.

6. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Works on my SE that I got 2 days ago, way faster than on my 6 +

7. Shauns macrumors newbie

Shauns

I have no trouble using the Touch ID on my SE. I doesn't sound like a specific SE problem and perhaps you've been unlucky and bought a faulty phone.

8. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502a

blackxacto

The SE is 9 days old. I have made two righthand thumbprints and two righthand index fingerprints. When I go to use Touch ID, I press down all the way. Am I pressing too hard? Should I just lay the finger on the surface? Does it take one click to wake up phone, then a second click to go through keypad, or a third click to go past keypad? Or should laying the finger on the home button simply get me through security?

On my iPad Pro 10.5" I simply click the Home button with the thumb. Works everytime.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Open Settings > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open (toggle on)
    See if enabling that setting helps you.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

If your fingers are like mine, my finger prints change ever so slightly (the base print stays the same but my finger tips get dry and will cut, shed, etc... I have to re-do my prints every few months or it will get to the point where it doesn't recognize my thumb print.

The iPhone 6+ was HORRIBLE with touch id with my fingers. The 6s+ has the second generation of touch id and it does really well and I can go several more months without problems. It is also 2-3x faster and accurate.

11. blackxacto thread starter macrumors 6502a

blackxacto

That was the solution for my SE. Works perfectly now. Thanks very much, BasicGreatGuy!

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I love this feature so much! :)

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Still, you should be able to do it without having "Rest Finger to Open" toggled On. I didn't even know the setting was there (I had to check before writing this post) and mine is Off, and my SE unlocks correctly every time.