Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
California
Can i purchase the SE tonight online with AT&T Next or Apple Upgrade Program, and then trade in my 5S at an Apple Store later to lower the monthly payments?

Last edited:

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
No. Trade-in credit in the form of gift cards at Apple Stores must be used immediately to purchase an iPhone or iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You're better off selling the 5s and putting the money towards what you owe.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Can i purchase the SE tonight online with AT&T Next or Apple Upgrade Program, and then trade in my 5S at an Apple Store later to lower the monthly payments?

Actually you can but it takes a couple of steps. Order now and then next week on or after March 31 or within 15 days of March 31 go to the Apple store and do a return and repurchase using your iPhone 5S as a trade-in. ;)

You might not be the most popular person in the store but it is an option.

Dave

cvam1985

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2011
Apple's iPhone trade-in program says they'll give me 150 for me 5S, but I guess I gotta wait until Thursday and hope they have the SE I want. I assume this will be a better deal than financing the whole thing through Apple or AT&T Next, but IDK yet. I wish they would have made it a bit more clear, since I imagine the majority of people getting the SE are upgrading form 5/S

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
California
You're better off selling the 5s and putting the money towards what you owe.

The hassle of eBay plus the eBay fees, i'd prolly make less than the generous Apple credit of $150.

Actually you can but it takes a couple of steps. Order now and then next week on or after March 31 or within 15 days of March 31 go to the Apple store and do a return and repurchase using your iPhone 5S as a trade-in. ;)

You might not be the most popular person in the store but it is an option.

Dave
i don't have the gull to do that.

Apple's iPhone trade-in program says they'll give me 150 for me 5S, but I guess I gotta wait until Thursday and hope they have the SE I want. I assume this will be a better deal than financing the whole thing through Apple or AT&T Next, but IDK yet. I wish they would have made it a bit more clear, since I imagine the majority of people getting the SE are upgrading form 5/S

Yes $150 is quite a generous credit imo. The SE already shows shipping estimates of April, but hopefully store inventory is still good on the 31st.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
In the same boat for my wife's SE. Couldn't preorder because we'd like to trade in her 5S. AT&T is only offering around $85 for trade vs Apple's $150. Thankfully she's not like me and doesn't care about waiting past launch day.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think it'll make a difference with a trade in.

I was really steamed back when the 6s came out and websites like walmart, is it worth more, gazelle , etc. were low balling and giving you a lower price because your phone was "an unlocked AT&T" and not a "verizon" even though it was the same exact phone. they were knocking off $$$ off your phone trade inbecause you said it was a sprint one. and once sprint is unlocked its the same damn phone as everyone else

since those days, they mostly wised up and now they offer a $20 +/- difference between the different flavors of the 6

back when the iPhone 6s came out, the only company that deals with trade ins that was giving you the same exact price of any phone, regardless of carrier was apple itself

it looks to me that the 5s is CDMA+GSM and therefor once you unlock AT&T it becomes a verizon phone.

it's really moot to argue if AT&T gives you the unlock for free

here are my " is it worth more " quotes from 9/21/15

unlocked 481

tmo 376
verizon 476
AT&T 456
other carrier 256
sprint 331

once the phone was unlocked on the particular day it was worth $481 regardless of carrier

these are the quotes from gazelle
Gazelle’s price quotes as of 9/4/15

iphone 6 plus 128 gb , T-mobile UNLOCKED

AT&T $346 Sprint $361 T-mobile $383 Verizon $476 Unlocked $365

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.