Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
So I only use this Iphone SE as a music player, have limited apps, all the settings disabled to the max, only use it as an Ipod, normally on standby it drains less than 5 percent of battery per day, now it is draining 5 percent every 4 hours, the only thing different is I added a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

OK, I know, I am experimenting right now by removing the adapter when I put the phone in standby mode but just asking, is there any setting I could be missing that could be contributing to this, maybe leaving the volume level on high?

Thanks.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Is the Flight Mode enabled at all times (and Wi-Fi / Bluetooth disabled) ? If you notice a sudden change now it's probably the Lightning to 3.5mm Adapter. I would use the 3.5mm Jack anyways on the SE, the Lightning Dongle is prone to fail.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Is the Flight Mode enabled at all times (and Wi-Fi / Bluetooth disabled) ? If you notice a sudden change now it's probably the Lightning to 3.5mm Adapter. I would use the 3.5mm Jack anyways on the SE, the Lightning Dongle is prone to fail.

Wi-Fi/Bluetooth always disabled, I don't have Flight Mode on because every thing it controls is already turned off. I need to use the 3.5mm adapter because the sound quality is better than just the analog jack.

Disconnecting the adapter seems to have cut the standby power consumption from 5 percent every four hours to two percent but still not to the ultra low levels that it normally uses up.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
How is sound quality worse with the dedicated headphone jack? What setup are you using?

Yes, i always had the impression that the 3.5mm jack without the dongle would be superior, because of the direct connection.

On my 8 Plus i also use the Lightning Dongle for my 3.5mm Headphones, but mostly i just use my old iPhone 5 to listen to music, the sound quality is way better. I don't know if it's the dongle (probably not) or just the different sound chip used in the iPhone 5. Two different iPhones.

I have also tried Bluetooth Earbuds for the 8 Plus, the quality was ok, but not that great. I also had to worry about the battery constantly. I guess the only good solution for an iPhone without a headphone jack are Apple's own AirPods - but they're expensive.

Last edited:

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
How is sound quality worse with the dedicated headphone jack? What setup are you using?

The headphone jack is an analog jack, the lightning to 3.5mm has a Dac in it, if you google it, perhaps AudioScience, but a test site has shown improved measurements and that the $10 Apple adapter can compete with $100 usb Dacs.

I'm sending the audio to a stereo receiver via a 3.5mm to rca cable setup, if you use inexpensive headphones you won't notice a difference, I don't listen using any headphones so I can't write about the comparison between expensive and inexpensive headphones.

Update: OK, my mistake, I was comparing the sound from an Ipod Nano to an Iphone SE, I assumed the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter made a difference, I just tested it now, no difference, maybe you can notice something with expensive headphones but I am skeptical.

It does seem like the DAC is improved from an Ipod Nano last generation to an Iphone SE, could simply be my perception but that is possible, this adapter, I can't notice.

Update II: Now after testing the difference between the Ipod Nano and the Iphone SE, not even sure there is a difference here, I wonder if there is any major sound differences between the newer Iphones and the SE and between the last generation Ipod Touch, but ultimately the SE and Ipod Nano 7th gen sound very good.

Last edited:

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Yes, i always had the impression that the 3.5mm jack without the dongle would be superior, because of the direct connection.

On my 8 Plus i also use the Lightning Dongle for my 3.5mm Headphones, but mostly i just use my old iPhone 5 to listen to music, the sound quality is way better. I don't know if it's the dongle (probably not) or just the different sound chip used in the iPhone 5. Two different iPhones.

I have also tried Bluetooth Earbuds for the 8 Plus, the quality was ok, but not that great. I also had to worry about the battery constantly. I guess the only good solution for an iPhone without a headphone jack are Apple's own EarPods - but they're expensive.

Definitely could be the Dac, it seems like some of the older Ipods and Iphones used a Wolfson Dac, the new ones use a Cirrus Dac, again could be my perceptions are wrong but when my Ipod 4th gen 20gb A1059 died, I switched to an Ipod Classic 7th gen, the last one, and the sound seemed to be less dynamic.

The 4th gen had the Wolfson Dac.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009

OK, for anyone that cares, the only thing I changed unless I am missing something but I don't think I am, I lowered the headphone volume to zero, you can't lower it unless the headphones are in the jack, after doing this, the Iphone SE used 1 percent of battery in 17 hours of standby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.