Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
Usually when a new iPhone is going to appear soon there is usually tons of leaks before hand upto now there only been very few leaks for the iPhone SE2.

I think the March 27th event will be just for the new iPad that all, and they keep the SE2 or whatever they call it until September that way they can release 3 phones at once.

As it stands now the current SE still performs great on iOS 11, & a new budget iPhone will probably cut into sales of the current 8.

If they do keep the SE replacement till September then it could possibly ship with the A11 rather than the 10.

So what your thoughts September or March?

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
It won’t be September, the original SE was released around the March time to stop it interfering with the 6s release.

It makes no sense for them to release SE2 in September.
Didn’t make sense to release iPhone 8 and 10 simultaneously either. But they did. Same with 5c and 5s. Different markets really do anything is possible.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The SE is a low-cost phone. They're not going to release it in September and draw attention away from the 3 other premium phones. It's the same reason why iPad (2017) wasn't released with iPad Pro 10.5".

Right now, we have a few unreliable sources claiming SE2. No credible sources have predicted anything. In fact, Kuo suggested there would not be an SE2 this year.

Reactions: MartinAppleGuy

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
At this junction, I would say the SE 2
to is no longer a consideration due to the announcement of the educational Keynote on March 27. That alone is not going to highlight an iPhone for reasons we know, but perhaps a lower-cost iPad or MacBook would be more appropriate.

And there is too much emphasis on these next three iPhones for the fall that an SE2 would not fit in line, but if it were to be updated at all, it likely would be silently, but it seems the odds are not in favor of the SE being refreshed. The original SE will be retained at least another year in Apples lineup at minimum.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Rattle Snake

Suspended
Mar 16, 2018
At this junction, I would say the SE 2
to is no longer a consideration due to the announcement of the educational Keynote on March 27. That alone is not going to highlight an iPhone for reasons we know, but perhaps a lower-cost iPad or MacBook would be more appropriate.

And there is too much emphasis on these next three iPhones for the fall that an SE2 would not fit in line, but if it were to be updated at all, it likely would be silently, but it seems the odds are not in favor of the SE being refreshed. The original SE will be retained at least another year in Apples lineup at minimum.
I really wish they kill future SE ideas and focus more on 6.5 inch iPhone and iOS 12.

Small 4 inch iPhone market is at it's end. Nobody want it since we have entered in a bezel less smartphone age.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Doubtful we’ll see it this year. If it is released next March, it’s possible it could come with the A11 but, realistically the A10 is more than adequate for it to perform well..

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
While I believe the SE is a great device my. I don’t think there will be one released until maybe next March

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
With SE sales in the proverbial tank (already) I am not sure what the motivation for Apple would be to spend more money on a partial redesign and upgrades.

I may eat a lot of crow soon. However, I just don't see the SE pipedream that some others here do.

schlotz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Contrary to some, there are many of us that DO NOT want larger sized iPhones. In fact I personally would rather bring back the iP4 from a size factor perspective. However, the SE's size is acceptable and after 3 yrs I, and suspect others using the SE, would like to upgrade to an SE2.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Usually when a new iPhone is going to appear soon there is usually tons of leaks before hand upto now there only been very few leaks for the iPhone SE2.

I think the March 27th event will be just for the new iPad that all, and they keep the SE2 or whatever they call it until September that way they can release 3 phones at once.

As it stands now the current SE still performs great on iOS 11, & a new budget iPhone will probably cut into sales of the current 8.

If they do keep the SE replacement till September then it could possibly ship with the A11 rather than the 10.

So what your thoughts September or March?

More chance of it being announced this month, their have been no leaks at all about new iPads either, just rumours, this event has been labelled as one for cheaper devices, that’s the point if the iPhone SE.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I really wish they kill future SE ideas and focus more on 6.5 inch iPhone and iOS 12.

Small 4 inch iPhone market is at it's end. Nobody want it since we have entered in a bezel less smartphone age.

Many people would like to have phone like this - bazel-less SE sized phone with TouchID under the screen.
Unfortunately, for now all the companies decided to go the Phablet road, coz its more easy to push all the latest tech in a bigger sized phones... ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Contrary to some, there are many of us that DO NOT want larger sized iPhones. In fact I personally would rather bring back the iP4 from a size factor perspective. However, the SE's size is acceptable and after 3 yrs I, and suspect others using the SE, would like to upgrade to an SE2.

The SE is one of those phones That offers basic functionality in a small form factor. That’s primarily what it sells. It is a very small demographic that uses the SE, but it does have a very strong following, because that’s how the iPhone initially started with an iPhone around that size in 2007. Rather Apple shares the views of refreshing it, is yet to be determined, unfortunately I think it’s unlikely at this point.

Reactions: Donfor39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.