Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n3uron3rd411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
I have an iphone 7+ which is aging and ending its life of updates. I want to go back to a small phone because the larger ones are just too big, I find myself gravitating towards either a computer for actual work or tablet if I want to do a lot of reading.

My question is what will "Last Longer"? I know that is an ambiguous question but some context: Purchased my 7+ at the beginning of 2017 and it is still functioning more or less perfectly, only one battery replacement, no cracks or scratches.

What I'm worried about is that since the SE is a lower end model they will drop support for it earlier than the 12mini, and granted now that the 12 mini does not have the sale numbers I'm also moderately worried that it will happen to that line as well, I believe that is slimmer chance due to the popularity of the 12 in general and its basically a 12 just smaller.

I have not really put my hands on them side by side yet but I just want a smaller phone and since the 12 is a tad newer in theory it should last longer. Not really interested too much in ALL of the bells and whistles, honestly not impressed by the face ID, would rather stick with the finger print, but get a bit more screen real estate in the 12 than the SE.

Any thoughts or opinions on life of service? I know apple put a blanket statement that their divices will last 36 months, I have yet to find anything which states how long they will receive updates.

TIA

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just a thought, why not the iPhone 12?

I recently helped my aunt replace her 5.5" 7+ with the 6.7" 12 Pro Max and without case, those two where around the same size. The 6.1" 12 is smaller than either while retaining a good chunk of screen real estate and maintaining decent battery.

I like my SE2 just fine and am considering the 12 mini (by the looks of things, might be the last time Apple releases a smallish phone). However, I'm a very light phone user (<1 hour onscreen time a day). I think battery life will probably be unexpectedly poor for someone coming from bigger devices.

Last edited:

n3uron3rd411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
Honestly not worried about battery life, not much of huge user on a phone, even with an aging battery i still get a full days use with average use. When it was new i had 2 days of battery life.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Honestly not worried about battery life, not much of huge user on a phone, even with an aging battery i still get a full days use with average use. When it was new i had 2 days of battery life.

You sound like a much heavier user than I, then. I practically almost never use my phone.

I just checked the stats of my iPhone SE2 and for the past 10 days, I averaged 10 minutes onscreen time a day. Even then, I still need to charge it every 1-2 days.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 9.27.54 AM.png

n3uron3rd411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
I'm leaning 12 for the fact its newer, just not sold on the face id. Might just disable it.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I would recommend the 12 mini. If you hang onto phones for a few years, it's worth it to get the extra tech. As far as face ID goes, I can understand your concern. But regardless of which iPhone (or any phone rather) you choose, there will be a camera staring at you.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Purchased my 7+ at the beginning of 2017 ....no cracks or scratches.
That's pretty impressive. Were you using a case?

As to 12 mini vs 2020 SE, I have looked at that closely. IMO, if you can tolerate PWM and your budget permits, the 12 mini wins hands down for its better camera, faster processor, bigger screen, lighter weight, and better color choices. The 12 mini just feels awesome to hold in the hand, very secure and lightweight. The 2020 SE by contrast feels like a bar of soap ready to slip out of your hand.

Reactions: lpc2 and DevinNj

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Other than size, I don’t understand the comparison between the 12 mini and the SE (2016 or 2020). The SE is a budget phone while the 12 mini is top of the line spec wise. The SE 2020 never interested me because I wanted the new design with the full screen, Face ID, great camera and all the upgraded specs, in a slightly smaller package...

Reactions: prazakj

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
The regular iPhone 12 is smaller than the 7+. Maybe try that ?

When looking at the 12 mini it looks to me like the notch takes up too much of the space along the top.

sddefault.jpg

n3uron3rd411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
I would recommend the 12 mini. If you hang onto phones for a few years, it's worth it to get the extra tech. As far as face ID goes, I can understand your concern. But regardless of which iPhone (or any phone rather) you choose, there will be a camera staring at you.
Not too worried about the camera staring at me, its more ease of unlocking. I do not have to look at the phone to unlock it, I can just rest my thumb on the sensor and it works 99.4% of the time. I hear many hiccups with face ID, and now with the face mask variable i can see the hiccups multiplying.

n3uron3rd411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021

As to 12 mini vs 2020 SE, I have looked at that closely. IMO, if you can tolerate PWM and your budget permits, the 12 mini wins hands down for its better camera, faster processor, bigger screen, lighter weight, and better color choices. The 12 mini just feels awesome to hold in the hand, very secure and lightweight. The 2020 SE by contrast feels like a bar of soap ready to slip out of your hand.
Using Lifeproof cases. Worth the money, and i'm hard on cases.

i've felt the 12 mini and feels good, dont think i've picked up an SE, but i hate the curves of the phones. I do like the flat edges.

n3uron3rd411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2021
Other than size, I don’t understand the comparison between the 12 mini and the SE (2016 or 2020). The SE is a budget phone while the 12 mini is top of the line spec wise. The SE 2020 never interested me because I wanted the new design with the full screen, Face ID, great camera and all the upgraded specs, in a slightly smaller package...
I'm mostely interested in service life, AKA how many years will i be able to get software upgrades. If the roumor of in screen touch id is true might just hold out for one of those if they make a smaller phone.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Not too worried about the camera staring at me, its more ease of unlocking. I do not have to look at the phone to unlock it, I can just rest my thumb on the sensor and it works 99.4% of the time. I hear many hiccups with face ID, and now with the face mask variable i can see the hiccups multiplying.
I came from a 7 and now have a mini. I was wary of faceID too, but it’s been great. TouchID is great also, but get fewer failures with faceID. I don’t really think either is much better than the other, but faceID will probably surprise you with how good it is.

Reactions: The1andOnly

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm mostely interested in service life, AKA how many years will i be able to get software upgrades. If the roumor of in screen touch id is true might just hold out for one of those if they make a smaller phone.

From this point forward, you can likely expect one more year of service life from the iPhone 12 mini compared to the iPhone SE2.

Reality is we haven't had super big performance jumps of late. I think it's been mostly just 20-30% YOY improvements right now amd I don't really see LTE networks getting shut down anytime soon.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
i've felt the 12 mini and feels good, dont think i've picked up an SE, but i hate the curves of the phones. I do like the flat edges.
I have both the SE 2020 and the Mini. If you hate curved edges, get the Mini for sure. Im the opposite, I prefer the curved edges, but the way better display, cameras and no bezels on the Mini move it ahead for me. Im keeping the Mini.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Mini, A14 beast, Face ID, better oled higher resolution/contrast screen, better cameras, longer support, better overall phone, no contest really

Reactions: lpc2 and Barbareren

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
What you didn't mention is the difference in modems.

The Qualcomm for the 12 absolutely wins in connection speed and reliability.

the intel chip is okay and is just fine ,but the 12 is SOOOO much better.

(I've had both iPhone mini and on 11 right now)

sorry the SE has Intel chip and whatever subpar Bluetooth and WiFi chip used to save cost. (The Bluetooth and WiFi chip is just a theory.... not necessarily true. Hopefully someone can refute if not true)

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I just went through the same choice and ended up purchasing the SE.
There is no doubt the mini is a better phone. From my point of view, the main advantage of the mini over the SE would have been the improved cameras. Everything else I can easily live without. So my choice came down to whether I wanted to spend double the cash for a better camera, and I decided against it, but it wasn’t an easy decision.

Reactions: harriska2

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
The 6S and original SE (same internals as the 6S) are still supported for OS updates now, five years later (rumor has it that support ends with this iOS version but not yet confirmed by Apple). So 5 years is what you can bet on. And even unsupported phones like the 6 still work fine.

On that basis, you can only count on 4 years of iOS support for the 2020 SE. The real killer of old models is carrier tech keeps on trucking. No more 3G very soon, and 4G will also be gone in say 8 years or so. My sister has a 5, and Verizon says they won't support it anymore, and are threatening to turn the switch off enabling it - hasn't happened yet. And of course the 5 does not get new updates, and Apple won't service it.

Last edited:

prazakj

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I have an iphone 7+ which is aging and ending its life of updates. I want to go back to a small phone because the larger ones are just too big, I find myself gravitating towards either a computer for actual work or tablet if I want to do a lot of reading.

My question is what will "Last Longer"? I know that is an ambiguous question but some context: Purchased my 7+ at the beginning of 2017 and it is still functioning more or less perfectly, only one battery replacement, no cracks or scratches.

What I'm worried about is that since the SE is a lower end model they will drop support for it earlier than the 12mini, and granted now that the 12 mini does not have the sale numbers I'm also moderately worried that it will happen to that line as well, I believe that is slimmer chance due to the popularity of the 12 in general and its basically a 12 just smaller.

I have not really put my hands on them side by side yet but I just want a smaller phone and since the 12 is a tad newer in theory it should last longer. Not really interested too much in ALL of the bells and whistles, honestly not impressed by the face ID, would rather stick with the finger print, but get a bit more screen real estate in the 12 than the SE.

Any thoughts or opinions on life of service? I know apple put a blanket statement that their divices will last 36 months, I have yet to find anything which states how long they will receive updates.

TIA
For a longer period, almost every iPhone can get 5 years of iOS support. Still based on newer chip in mini, I think you should get a mini. I know it’s a personal decision and it’s best to choose while holding it. ??

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The 2nd Gen SE will get the same software support as the Iphone 11 series with its A13 bionic chip, so support until 2024/25. Similar with the 12 mini, it will get support with all other A14 devices (12, 12 pro and ipad air 4) until approx 2025/26 approx. Take it as a general rule of thumb that ios devices get support for about 5 years.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I have an iphone 7+ which is aging and ending its life of updates..... I know apple put a blanket statement that their divices will last 36 months,

Except it's not ending it's life of updates. Who told you that? And where did you hear about this 'blanket statement'? Neither of these things are true.

Both the 12 mini and SE will be good for the next 5 years Since you're not impressed by FaceID (have you ever used it?) and prefer a button , the SE should be your obvious choice.

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon

We have 3 original SEs and an iphone 8+. One of the SEs and the 8+ has been dropped numerous times. None of the phones (or the 9 ipads we’ve owned over the last almost 11 years) has ever had a cracked screen, only a few have had minor scratches. An attestment to apple quality and using simple screen protectors and cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.