iPhone Security Flaw

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fabian9, Nov 20, 2008.

1. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Hi guys,

not sure if this has been covered before, just read it on the german news channel www.n-tv.de:

Link

Basically, it says that there is a security flaw in the iPhone which enables hackers to make a concealed call (for example to an expensive phone number) by putting in appropriate script (presumably javascript) on a website. This website is then linked to in an email so if the user clicks on it he'll get connected to the phone number.

This security flaw has been discovered by the Fraunhofer institute in Darmstadt, Germany.

Google translation of this article is available here:
    Link

So be careful what you click on if you receive suspicious emails or SMS.

On a different note, the article also states that apple said the problem will be patched in the next update, which is to be released on November 21st!

Regards,

Fabian

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yup, thank you for letting us all know. Very interesting...

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I was wondering.... how can I make my own script on the home screen that dials a phone number for me? I know people used to do this prior to 2.0, but I don't remember how.

5. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

You could actually use this flaw to archive this, because it works by directing Safari to a prepared page. Just add the page to your home screen.

On the other hand one article stated that Apple will release the update on Friday and I would update asap.

6. detz macrumors 65816

Use one of the free apps on the store.