iPhone: Selling early and not getting discount?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by billyripkin, Jun 24, 2008.

1. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

So the rumor is if you are a current at&t customer and have a iPhone you get the new one for the $199/$299 price but what if you sell yours early(like I just did) does the rule still hold true? Just wondering if I walk in July 11th with my cheap GoPhone and will be told no discount because I don't have a iPhone anymore.

Anyone else thought about this?:confused:

2. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

well wouldn't it be based on your account. if you have an iphone account then why not?

3. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Check your AT&T online status. AT&T updated status on eligible accounts. Others did this and if you still have iPhone plan it should show you eligible for upgrade now.

4. kingicon1 macrumors newbie

Last I heard(afternoon yesterday) from a ATT support person is that if your a current ATT customer, you have to qualify for a upgrade no matter if you have a iPhone or other phone.

Tho, seeing how stories seem to change every few hours.. its hard to say.

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Where does it say exactly?

I'm in the same situation as him.

EDIT: Found it. It says I'm eligable if I sign a new 2 yr contract. Fine with me, so I should be set, right?

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

As long as you have an iPhone contract you will be entitled to the 3G upgrade at the subsidised price.

You do not have to prove that you still have the iPhone.

Remember, you bought the original iPhone outright, without subsidy, and it was your property to do with as you liked.

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

That's it.

8. billyripkin thread starter macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I hope this is right. I just sold my Colorware iPhone for $600 to guy in Finland on eBay and am happy as h*ll right now. I just hope it did not cause a problem in the coming weeks.

9. JayDH macrumors 6502

What about this?

I sold my iPhone 2G right after the announcement of the iPhone 3G in order to secure the funds for the 3G. I have a Treo from work, so I called ATT and switched over to a 3G data plan a few weeks ago and have used the Treo ever since.

I had an iPhone and iPhone plan for almost a year. Right now, however, I have neither an iPhone or an iPhone plan. Am I going to be screwed because I sold my iPhone in anticipation of getting the new one?

10. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

check your account status online...easiest answer

11. JayDH macrumors 6502

12. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

your best bet is to call ATT and explain to them the situation.

13. saxamoophone macrumors regular

If you haven't gotten a subsidized phone from at&t in the last 2 years though, call and complain. But if you:
    - Got a subsidized phone within the last 2 years
    - Got an iPhone
    - Switched to a 3G phone, and changed plans (but not a subsidized phone)
    I think you'll still be screwed because of the first part.

Otherwise, just call!

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I just sold my iPhone to a guy in Nigeria but he screwed up the money order and sent me too much.

I have to go down to the bank and get out 1200 and send it to his brother in Tangiers. Good thing is the guy said I could keep the extra $200 above the $600 he paid for the phone. So I got $800 for my iPhone.

Going to go ship it off before I go to the bank tomorrow! Woohoo!

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

16. Has03 macrumors newbie

Be VERY careful with that!!! Usually people that say they're going to pay you more than you ask for and say they're from a foreign country are scamming you! It happened to a friend of mine and he ended up losing $800. Don't send the phone until the funds are completely verified and even then I'd still be careful. Just a thought.

Regarding the selling the iphone early and not receiving a discount- unfortunately, as far as I know, it's true. If you sold your iphone, unless you STILL have the data plan on your account or your contract has expired you won't be upgrade eligible. I called the ATT store near my house to ask them, and he asked his manager. Thats what his manager said and I'm pretty sure it's true. Now, one of my friends got lucky and although she sold her iphone, it's still showing that she has it on her account therefore she's upgrade eligible. Lucky her. We did the same thing and sold our iphone and now we're not upgrade eligible :(