iPhone sending large amounts of data????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pTacRP, Feb 13, 2014.

1. pTacRP macrumors member

I have been having issues going over my allocated WiFi at home for the last several months. I assumed it was a problem on their (Exede's) end as the only things connected to our WiFi are our laptop and iPhones, and we don't use it much other then basic web browsing. We don't do online games or streaming videos or anything like that. The laptop gets put to sleep when not in use, and I have turned off the auto iCould backup on the iPhones (4 and 4S). The router constantly showed data being sent. No one else has our password, but just to try and figure out what was going on I changed the password today on our network and the only thing that had the new password was the laptop which I then shut down. No data is being sent now, so I can only assume its the iPhones. Any ideas on what I'm missing and why it would constantly be transmitting when on our WiFi? It doesn't seem to have this problem when on 3G as we don't use any data when on that according to Verizon, but we don't get 3G at our house so we are stuck connecting to the WiFi.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Can you put the new password on one of the phones and see if the traffic goes back to what it was like before, to basically truly identify the phones being responsible (in case it might have somehow been something else that is no longer connected due to the password being changed)?

3. pTacRP thread starter macrumors member

I put the new password on my iPhone and boom, the send button on the WiFi modem went crazy again. Turn the iPhone off, modem stops sending- turn iPhone back on modem starts sending non-stop again. Has to be something the iPhone is sending just no clue what??!?!?!

Just did another quick test, this time when I powered my iPhone off the modem kept sending. Could it be a faulty router? If the router is bad would it be possible for it to send large amounts of data for no real reason??

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It would be interesting if you could actually track what the data is to see what device is actually sending it and where at least. I'm not sure if the router might provide logging information like that or perhaps some other software might be helpful in that respect. It might help figure out what's happening.

5. pTacRP thread starter macrumors member

I agree. Exceed tried telling me the "send" light flashing all the time was normal as it was just "talking" to the dish but after seeing it stopped for long periods today I'm not buying that

6. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I use an app called My Data Manager. It shows you how much data your phone is using and can even break down the data usage by app. It's fee and may help you see if the data is the culprit.

7. pTacRP thread starter macrumors member

Sweet, I'll try it out. Thanks!!!