Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
i know its probably geeky. But i do have to support my company(i do own part of them).

I bought an iPhone on day 1 and had no problems with it until about a week ago when my mic/speaker started not working properly. I would basically go to answer/make a call and not be able to hear/say anything from/to the other person. This seems like a fairly rare instance of malfunction. I called into applecare and made my statement. They told me if it happens again, to call in and they would take it for service. So, sure enough, it happens again 2 days later. I call in and they give me the option of sending it in with a 3-4 day turn around or take it into an apple store and they would "service it while i waited." Afraid to be without my cell for 3-4 days, i opted to drive an hour to columbus to have it serviced.

Let me tell you, this is how customer service should be. I walked into the genius bar for my appointment, gave them my name/email, they read some information on the applecare ticket number, double checked that i was still having mic/speaker issues. Then i got what every hardware owner loves to hear,

"We will be happy to replace this for you."

Pulled out a new iphone from a white cardboard box, scanned it, printed service order, swapped sim card and gave me the have a good afternoon. Sorry for the geeky post, but like i said, gotta give apple props for customer service/satisfaction.

Jebaloo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Same here.

After a short drop it stopped working, the guy at the genius bar was honest and I explained what happened. 5 minutes later I was walking out with a new iPhone!

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
hmmm

from what ive heard....not all, but the majority of the iphones that come in the white boxes are refurbished.

well, i cant help but think that the thing is brand spankin new. not a single sign of it being refurbed. I have heard cases of the exterior of refurb iphones having small scratches/nicks/dings in them. i suppose it very well could be a refurb on the inside, but the exterior looks even nicer than my original iphone did out of the box, and that was unboxing it on iDay!

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
from what ive heard....not all, but the majority of the iphones that come in the white boxes are refurbished.

all the white box means is that it's a service part and that the iphone has been "pre-activated", so you can make and receive calls on it immediately without having to go through the process again. if you were to get a replacement from the retail packaging, you'd have to set it up with iTunes activation again.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Apple service has always been great and it is a reason I always end up choosing Apple products

AT&T service on the other hand has always been below the F line

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Congrats on the great service. I am very lucky to have not had any troubles with my iphone but it seems if you explain the situation and act calm Apple stores, and genius bars are more than willing to help make for an excellent service opportunity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.