iPhone Service - Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbwinkle, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bbwinkle macrumors member

How hard is it to get your iPhone replaced? My iPhone has been tweaking out and slowing down, losing service, crashing apps all the time. I've restored twice and I'm now restoring a third time. On top of this, my home button and power button occasionally work AND the vibrate goes in and out depending on the day. Will the Genius believe me if these don't present themselves on the day of my visit? Or will he just mark my serial down and forget me?

2. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I think that the problem has to present itself when you bring the phone into apple. If there seems to be no problem with the phone when you bring it in the wontdo anything.

3. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I went in yesterday and got mine replaced for very minor flaws... Ringer switch and power button are slightly crooked, and the screen isn't exactly flush in the bottom corner. The genius looked at mine, ran his finger across the screen and then went back only to say they didn't have any in stock. So they ordered me one and it arrived today. Only problem... I live 2 hours away, but I'm making the trip back tomorrow.

Most of them seem nice and willing to exchange if you present a legit reason. It's worth a try.

4. bbwinkle thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks, my speaker for some reason sound like it has been blown too...all I do is let the speaker play the ringtone...I found that weird too.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

is the RIGHT speaker blown? cuz if it is i think you should MOST DEFINITLY take it back ;)

jk jk, dont take it back if ONLY the Right speaker is busted(thats a Microphone not a speaker)

6. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm hoping you are talking about the speaker on the left... and not the "speaker" [cough] microphone [cough] on the right. ;)

Edit: Beat me to it fireshot :)

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

lol, i win you lose game over!!! HAAHHAHA :D lol jk jk

8. bbwinkle thread starter macrumors member

Haha yes the left one, I actually corrected myself because I knew this situation would happen! I can't win here!

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

lol, i posted that AFTER reading your EDIT, lol, im mean like that :D, jk jk, im not really mean, lol, but i just FELT like saying that

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

it depends on the genius you get. in my experience, the vast majority of them are great and willing to provide you with great service. and if that means a replacement unit, they often swap them out. there are a few though that seem to enjoy denying you a swap.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I personally wouldn't bother with an exchange for anything but a physical defect. The software glitches are rampant. Hopefully 2.1 will bring relief.

The odds that your particular glitches are specific to your phone are probably pretty low. So many people are complaining about the same stuff. When 2.0.1 came out, everyone jumped for joy and said all was well...until the next day when they realized the stability they were seeing was only from rebooting/restoring during the update process, and that the bugs were taking hold again.

If you do gamble with an exchange for a software glitch, you also run the risk of the replacement phone having a physical defect as a bonus.

12. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Question of my own:

Calling Apple (1-800-MY-APPLE) and talking to AppleCare.. when you request a new phone from them because of the light leak on the side and excessive dust under the screen.. do they send you and iPhone (SIM free) and then you return your old one in the same box (maybe putting a CC hold thing incase you don't send one back)?

13. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I called AppleCare and the lady straight up told me to go to an Apple store because it would be much quicker. She did mention that they would send a phone (but would take a while) and you would then send the original in a box that was sent to you. And I think I read somewhere that they do put a hold on your card. (Not certain though)

14. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I've lived with the issues since I bought it on iDay2™. I can live with some postage, thanks for the reply. :)

15. aphexii macrumors 6502

Yep, most i've dealt with are very helpful and understanding. Even if you can't replicate the issue in person, they will usually just do the swap to keep you a happy customer.

16. johata3 macrumors regular

In my experience, all I had to do was to have some kind of warranty on the Apple products (iPods and iPhones) and just explain the problem on it. They look at it really quick and restores it first. If the problem still happens they just ask any warranty on the product and swap it for you really easily (sometimes judge by the condition...)

The moral of this post is...get some warranty on the Apple products.

17. daniels macrumors member

Can you take the iPhone to the Apple store to be replaced if you bought it at AT&T?

18. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

Yes you can.

19. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

They are not likely to replace it because of those software problems, but they are worth a shot and will have to happen when you bring the phone into them, but as to the hardware problems, I would say bring it in if those problems are really that much of a problem to you.

20. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Yes, Apple is the only ones that can service the Iphone.

21. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

Yes you can, but I think(correct me if I'm wrong) you can no longer return the phone to AT&T to end the contract within the 30 days. I think it has to do with the serial number or something :confused: