iPhone service provider...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by branharrison6, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branharrison6 macrumors member

will other companies provide service with the iPhone in the near future like cingular, US Cellular, Verizon etc? Or is it just going to be AT&T? Any news on dates would be great.

2. cmschmidt macrumors 6502

probably not if apple has anything to do with it. and since they have everything to do with it....no more than likely not.

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

At least 2 years with AT&T. That is contractually guaranteed. After that no one knows. It all depends on how things go with AT&T, but it will not be less than 2 years.

4. sananda macrumors 68020

not for 5 years.

5. DirectriX macrumors newbie

Where have you been... Cingular is new AT&T :)

6. show macrumors newbie

service providers

t-mobile offers service for the iphone that is out now (the phone would have to be modified), but t-mobile reps. say that they don't know if t-mobile will offer service for the new 3g sdk coming out.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Verizon and Sprint are CDMA (current phone is GSM) so unless Apple makes a CDMA phone, you're out of luck there.

Cingular is AT&T... and you can get the phone from them.

You can unlock the current iPhone (1st gen) to work with t-Mobile. No one knows if the 3G iPhone will be able to work with t-Mobile yet.

Apple and AT&T are in a 5 year contract, so you'll be waiting till 2012 before the iPhone is available on other networks.

8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

If unlocked, the new one will work with T Mobile, but only on EDGE. The GSM bands implemented in the new iPhone do not include the upload band for T Mobile's 3G, so 3G will not work.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The iPhone works on Centennial, and it even shows up in the menu bar as such.

10. NeuroKinetic macrumors newbie

iPhone...

The iPhone 3G is a Quad-Band GSM Phone. It's operating frequencies are the same to it's CDMA Competitors / GSM Competitors. Which are:

800 mhz for voice & 1900 mhz (Rarely)

With that being said it is actually possible to "Jailbreak" / "Unlock" the iPhone to operate on both Networks. Especially since, Verizon does have a feature where there phones can operate on GSM as well.

I'm not quite sure of the "rules" to this forum, so I won't tell you "how" to do it. But I will say this, it can and has been done. So if you want it quicker, since "Apple = Uber Secretive" your best bet is to just do it that way, cause it could be far longer then your anticipated date mentioned.

P.S. At least with Verizon the 3G Network is identical to AT & T's.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is it really necessary to not only needlessly bump an ancient post but to do so with a post so utterly devoid of correct information and so overflowing with erroneous information?

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Hey, at least they're using the search function, which no one seems to on this forum. :D

13. NeuroKinetic macrumors newbie

My apologies, just attempting to help individuals who would enjoy an iPhone but can't use it since it's bound to the AT & T Service. Considering I've unlocked it, I have it on the Verizon Network. Figured I'd inform people, so if they wanted the choice they could indeed actually do it.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Umm...so Verizon supports GSM now? :confused:

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Stop spreading fallacy.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The flag has been raised. You've gotta be a complete fool to come to a forum chock full of knowledgable people and try to post this.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you do not have it on verizon...period

know why? cuz it aint possible

know why it aint possible? because its cdma vs gsm....seperate technologies that aint compatible with each other:rolleyes:

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

His user profile says that he's replying to this thread, so let's see what he says... :D

19. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Ya I am curious to what BS he has in mind. I like taking notes on the various angles people use to BS.

20. View macrumors regular

I dont know about the frequency Verizon uses, but CDMA is a totally different than GSM.
    GSM is based on TDMA (Time division multiple access) which dividing up the the signal into several different channels (usually 8). Where Verizon uses CDMA (Code division multiple access) which uses a coding scheme to allow users to share the "line"

So, unless the Apple comes out with the CDMA version of the iPhone, it's not possible to use the iPhone on Verizon network.

Verizon's 3G uses EV-DO which is still different than the UMTS that ATT uses... However, Verizon is going with the LTE which is going to be the same as ATT's 4G... Until then, they are not cross-compatible with each other.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aww... he gave up! What the crap! I wanted to see this ludicrousness! :(

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think we'll just let it end here... as there are plenty of other threads on the original topic (and none of them has any more information on the original topic than this one anyways)....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.