iPhone Service without passcode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kognito, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

So, I need the battery replacing on my 6S under the replacement programme, no issue there. However, I've noticed that Apple asks for your passcode when an iPhone is taken in for service. This strikes me as quite odd for a company so concerned with privacy.

I'm wondering, will Apple do a battery replacement without requiring my passcode? I know they like to have users demonstrate that Find My iPhone can be turned off, but I don't see why they'd need my passcode which would give their staff access to all my data including sensitive items in my keychain. Failing this, I'd just have to wipe the iPhone clean which seems like a hassle for a service that will take an hour or so.

Any ideas?

2. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

I guess they need to run some diagnostics, but still it's somewhat odd. Wiping the device clean is one option, but like you said, it's a bit overkill for a short operation. One compromise could be to switch to a temporary passcode for the service and then switch back to your real one.

But I do wish iOS supported multiple user accounts, so you could create a separate account for repair purposes.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would never hand my iPhone with all my data and passcode to anyone. Do a encrypted backup, reset the phone like it came from the factory before taking it to Apple. You can restore it afterwards.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Do a encrypted iTunes backup and wipe the phone, before going to the Genius Bar. Very simple and no more privacy concerns.

Which is more important, getting your phone repaired, or not wanting to do a iTunes restore, because you don't want to be inconvenienced?

5. co1f macrumors regular

Running diagnostics as another person wrote. They started asking recently. But if you have a recent iOS they don’t need your passcode anymore 10.3 I think.