iPhone Sets Off Store Alarms?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrkactjob, May 23, 2010.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

You know those pesky barriers at the entrance to stores that beep when you try to steal DVD's etc?

Well normally my iPhone will pass through all peaceful like a small mouse sleeping in the hay on a desserted barn somewhere in deepest Idaho or Somerset.

But today I got a text message and it was displayed on my screen unread, I passed through the barrier of my local Tesco store and all hell broke loose.

The big black security guard went after me, frightened me and caused me to run screaming through the car park, everyone saw me and it was very embarrassing being led back into the store, everyone thought I was either Al Quada or Al Capone.

But the culprit twas my phone being in the state of unviewed text message.

Anyone else have this disturbing encounter?...maybe try it for sh*ts and giggles...have your running shoes on though.

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I think this happened to me at CVS, but I just ignored it because it happened when I entered and left, and I paid for the items I left with. Weird. No one asked anything.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

yeah sometimes those big black security guards scare me too. thanks for the laugh!:D never happened though doubt I ever start running unless I had a reason though. those alarms go off from time to time.

[​IMG]

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

5. specops macrumors regular

They are magnetic detectors at the front door, most products have magnets in them.(to stop theft obviously) The iphone 3GS has a digital compass(magnetic) in it which sets off my alarm at BBY all the time.

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Never had it set anything off.

Also, whenever those go off, just continue walking. Security guards have no right to touch you in any way once you are outside.

Don't run, just walk to your destination and be done with it.

7. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

It's his story, he can tell it like he wants.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

1) I doubt this is true
    2) If so, why would you run? The only reason to run from a security alarm is if you have stolen something.
    3)or scream
    4)Why is the security guards race important?
    5)Again, why would you warn people to have "good running shoes" on? Library books and other bar codes set these alarms off and I've never needed to run when I've been in this situation.

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Agreed, why would you run unless if you have something to hide? You look more suspicious when you set off a security alarm and then start sprinting away.

10. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

This would make a great American Dad episode in which the OP is Roger.

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I've never had mine set one off, even the super-sensitive one at the Walgreens near me that used to get set off by my work ID badge and by a coat I owned all the time (the coat apparently had an anti-theft sensor in it somewhere but no one could find it and it never beeped or anything when I took it (3 times) back to the store where I bought it to have it deactivated. I hated that damn coat.)

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

why the hell would you run? also things sometimes will still make the alarms go off even if purchased

13. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

the story is funny, but i've never heard of this nor has it happened to me

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wrong, they are RFID sensors, not magnetic.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

RFID, magnetic? I don't care. Mine also sets off security devices at CVS and a few places in the mall. It is very annoying. I thank the OP for pointing out it was the un-viewed text message alert that caused it. My phone generally has one or two of those up as I tend to ignore text messages.

My phone is a 3GS 32 GB running on OS 4.0 if matters. Maybe something is multi-tasking like maps which I use frequently.

16. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

So, are you saying you are experienced at stealing or trying to steal DVD's? ;-)

Mike

17. capecod565 macrumors member

Thats funny!
    Though the security guards here or anywhere are probably aware of this by now.

The other day, I was in the checkout line when I heard what I thought a security alarm go off, but it was the lady in front of me with her iPhone with a ringtone that her grandson had put on the thing. She was quite embarassed, and was going to 'talk to him' when she got home! Everybody in the store was howling with laughter.

18. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I have my ring tone set to "You have triggered the stores security system. Please step aside and someone will be there to assist you!"

19. capecod565 macrumors member

Thats a good one! How about "Im from the IRS and Im here to help you" . My neighbour works for the IRS and he has some funny stories.

My ringtone is a dog bark, and soon as I can record our dog, I will switch it to her, as its a better one than the one that comes on the iPhone.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

Years ago I had a digital camera that would set off the alarm in a bookstore in York England. It would go off when I entered the store, so I walked over to the cashier and they were interested and I held the camera out in front of me at arm's length and it went off again. They were not upset, just interested.

Some libraries have sensitive stuf and it seems to get set off by my iPod Touch if it's playing music. Fortunately the local library people know me and just wave at me.

I've seen stores forget to remove the security device on clothes and they go off when people leave. You have to go back and have them remove it, but it's not a big deal.

Running is a bad idea in any case.

21. capecod565 macrumors member

I had a friend who had a big landscaping service and when he was mowing at an estate in the southern part of our town, the interference from the ignition on one of his machines would set the alarm off.
    I was helping him out one day and I didn't know about this, and looked up and saw cops all over the place. I was sooooooo embarassed!

I need a waterproof case for my new iPhone, so I will start another thread about that.

22. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I had a RAZR set off one before. The staff told me that cell phones do it regularly.

23. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

My 3G (therefore no compass, so that's not the issue) used to set off the alarm at Walgreens every time I passed through, and a couple of other places like Dillards or something, can't remember. I never ran, why would anyone run if you haven't stolen anything? I haven't had it set off alarms in ages, however.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have had those things go off on me before, although I'm not sure it was because of my iPhone. I just stop and look around. Usually, the clerk that just checked me out, will tell me to go ahead and leave. A couple of times I have had my bag and receipt checked. Not a big deal.

And like others have said, running does make you look guilty. And screaming while running? Where is your dignity man!?! :p

25. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

A security guard has absolutely no right to detain you, keep you from leaving, or touch you inside or outside the store, so there was no reason to run or go back inside with him. He isn't a cop, and therefore has no right to detain or arrest you. He can however call the cops, but he can't stop you from going to your car and driving away.