iPhone setting in Handbrake, who has used it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OrangeCuse44, Sep 12, 2007.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I downloaded the newest version of Handbrake and started backing up some Seinfeld eps for my future iPod touch. I just used the iPhone preset (not iPhone High-Rez or Low-Rez, just the normal one). Im curious to see if anyone with an iPhone has used this setting and could say how it worked out with video and sound quality?

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha OrangeCuse44,

I've used that setting several times, albeit not on TV shows but on DVD movies, all with great success. You have the option of limiting the file by actual filesize or bitrate. Allowing a larger bitrate makes for a slightly larger filesize, but the audio and video quality is amazing on my iPhone.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

3. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

excellent news. ill be building up my digital library than. thanks a bunch.

Oh and whats the smallest size or bitrate you have used that still maintained excellent video and sound?

4. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

I move the bitrate down to about 70% of the settings, and still get great quality. I haven't tried below that yet though, but I probably will eventually when my next netflix comes in - getting season 1 of Lost... I have never seen the show or really know much about it so I'm excited (I think i should be, right?)

5. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

damn right you should be excited, LOST is the bomb diggity.

6. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I got the DVDs for season 1 of Lost, and I tried watching it.

I have no idea how this happened, but 12 Hours Later I was late for work.

(#*$ that show, and the (@#$er who gave me the season 1 DVDs. I'm sick of waiting for 08. I wish I never knew about Lost. That show ruins people, just like FF7 did.

As for Handbrake - I have an older version and I use the "Ipod" preset, and just changed the screen size to match my iphone - it has worked great thus far. Think I'm going to check out the new version.

8. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

So you move the "constant quality" slider to 70% and the quality is still really good?

9. Nemisis macrumors member

Wow...I love finding threads that help me out greatly. I am new to handbrake, as I am doing the same exact thing as you OrangeCuse (ripping DVD's for the iPod Touch), and this is helpful. I would like to keep my size of the videos at its lowest as well. The question OrangeCuse just asked is what I was wondering...

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

handbrake is a gift from the heavens.

I've been using it for a lot of video editing etc pulling source materials from DVD's and whatnot. I personally haven't tried the iPhone option, but I'm sure it's spectacular.

11. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I used it to put "Serenity" on my iPhone... and it worked great, except the video is a bit darker than when watching it from the DVD (not just on the iPhone, it's darker on my computer too).

I haven't messed with it again to see if there's a setting to fix that.

12. MAYBL8R macrumors member

Seinfeld Rocks! Im coverting the entire dvd collection at the moment, iPhone setting in Handbrake works awesome..

13. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Are you using the iPhone template straight or messing with using a percentage of the quality? Anyone use the slider and have good results while reducing the quality?

14. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Quality is better than SDTV to me.
    Definitely better.:D

15. oseary macrumors member

I use the standard setting... simply because on the Handbrake forums (those guys are rude over there btw) they stated that if you "mess" with the settings, there's a chance it won't copy to your phone correctly.

I find that hard to believe, but I've tried piddling with the "target size" bullet, and set it to like 300mb for example, and it was like the program completely ignored me, and put it to whatever size it wanted.

I haven't piddled with the average bitrate, or quality, simply b/c I've never ripped anything for the iPod or phone before, and I don't want to make it look like crap when playing it back. Though, at that small of a rez, it'd be tough to get it crappy.

I'd like to know though if anyone else has... I've only ripped The Office (U.K.) Series 1 & 2 tv wise, and 300, A Scanner Darkly, Hitchhiker's Guide and V for Vendetta--I wanted some good movies with great visual effects to show off the screen. :D

16. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I ripped my favorite movie of all time, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, and watched some on my computer and the lighting looks fine to me...

17. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I use it and it works fine. The content looks and sounds nice.

18. MAYBL8R macrumors member

Im just using the straight iphone setting.