iPhone settings in Japan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by polignac, Jul 28, 2009.

1. polignac macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I will be travellng to Japan and will be bringing my unlocked iphone 3Gs with me. I would like to use a local sim-card (pre-pay) for data if there is such deals in Japan. Will anyone please share with me the method of going about doing that? I don't speak Japanese, so please help me if this is possible... Thanks a million.

2. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Well first we'd need to know which network your going to be using in Japan, whether it be NTT DoCoMo or Softbank etc. then you'd need to find out the Data APN settings for Pre-Pay on this carrier which they may or may not have for Pre-Pay.

Hope that helps.

3. polignac thread starter macrumors newbie

mmm

Well, i was hoping someone who is in japan now can give me some information on them, like which provider should i go for etc ...i have no idea abt japan at all...

4. pauld macrumors regular

I've been trying to find this out for the past few months too. Seems like it's not really possible, unfortunately.

As far as I understand it you'll need an Alien Registration Card to even get a pre-pay contract {which I don't think is possible with a tourist visa}.

There is a huge thread on the iPhone in Japan here that might be of more help to you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8174713#post8174713