Iphone setup for my 73 year old mom...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by whyrichard, Nov 2, 2014.

1. whyrichard, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I got my mom an iPhone 5S, her first Iphone! (At 73!)

She is very new to this sort of thing, but she can pick it up...
    I seek advice on how to set up her phone:

-I would like to have the app store linked to my phone (for apps)
    -I would like her to have her own FaceTime account (so i can call her and vice versa on FaceTime)
    -I would like her to have her own iMessages account
    -I would like to use "Find my friends" with her
    -I would like her to use my iTunes Match account

How do I set up app store, iMessages, FaceTime accounts to accomplish the above mentioned desires?

Also, any other advice on apps and usage for a 73 year old iPhone newbie???

THANK YOU!

Richard

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Easy enough to do, assuming Apple hasn't changed the initial setup process.

I'd probably start with creating an Apple ID for her on the computer. I'm not sure if it will work the same way if you do it on the phone.

When you go through the set up process on the phone there should be an option to login with an Apple ID for iCloud (messages and FaceTime) and a separate Apple ID for iTunes. This is the process I use to allow my boyfriend to sync music and movies from my iTunes account. I'm not sure how this will work with apps though as my boyfriend's apps are purchased with his Apple ID. He got an iPhone and purchased apps before I did though. The iTunes account is from my iPod days.

Family sharing may work well for you though. Your mother will have her own Apple ID for iCloud, iMessage, etc and she will be able to download your apps and music. Yours would be the master account. Anything she might intentionally or accidentally purchase can be approved or denied by you. Family Sharing is new though and glitchy from what I hear. That's why I suggested the system I've been using if it still works.

3. chrisvanhorn macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

- Family sharing with her for the shared apps
    - Set up an AppleID for her for everything else

4. happywaiman macrumors member

Are you sure 5s is the best way to go?
    My grandma said the words is too small, and ask for an iPad Mini.
    The dynamic type is just too cluttered for developers to use. (They spoon feed every UI change as delegate, but not font size change :mad:)

5. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I just had a tutoring session with a friend's 86 year old dad. Yes, he was born the year the first Ford Model A was released, and he's slowly learning to use his very first smartphone: the iphone 5C. :D

He's learned to make and receive calls, text, and access his e-mail, all in one forty-minute session. And he can't wait to "get into the world of apps."

My mom, eight years his junior, was confused by the Jitterbug ten years ago. Some folks got it, some folks don't.

6. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Create an AppleID for her and use it as the iCloud account which will take care of facetime, iMesages & find my friends. Use your apple id to login to the appstore which will take care of the itunes match and app downloading.