iPhone Shake to shuffle?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtfield, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Can the iPhone do the ipod touch shake to shuffle thing?

2. Pared macrumors 65816

It's the Nano that can do that.

Unless you're using PocketTouch and jailbroken... NO!

3. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

4. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

For me this is good news. I trail run sometimes and don't want my playlist out of order (I have enough of a time with the iPhone's constant forgetting it's place when you switch off the iPod player).

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

(Embarassed to admit the following :eek: )

I shook my phone for about 60 seconds in all directions trying to get it to shuffle - didn't do anything :D

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Exactly. No shake-to-shuffle on the touch or the iPhone.

8. bdizzlefizzle macrumors newbie

I would really like the ability to turn this on or off so a) I could have it, and b) I could disable it for times when I know I'd be shuffling automatically (or otomatically, like Steve would say)

9. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

You can disable it on the Nano.

10. dougelo7 macrumors member

dougelo7

All the Good Stuff

I really hate how Apple is sprinkling its goodies across all of its devices instead of doing what they used to do: focus the features onto one very expensive device (the iPhone) and gradually take features away as one went into the cheaper prices (the iPods). I guess they just want us to buy all the iPods:

• iPhone: Easy calling, Internet access, halo effect of uber-coolness around the owner :cool:, and camera
    • iPod touch: Thin/portable, Nike+iPod
    • iPod classic: All of our media:eek:
    • iPod nano: Relatively inexpensive, shake to shuffle, tiny, durable (has an all-aluminum case, unlike the iPod touch and iPod classic):)
    • iPod shuffle: Least obtrusive (wear on one's dress or gym pants) and least expensive, easiest to control without looking

You see? For one to have all the good stuff, one must buy all the iPods.:mad: I really hope Apple releases an iMac-like iPod (one that's all in wonderful, and I agree - I LOVE my iMac!).

Can I get an amen?:D

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

A lot of those features are mutually exclusive...

iPod classic's storage, shuffle's size, flash drive nature of most of the line up etc etc

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you can't. There's a reason for this.
    The touch is thinner than the phone for obvious reasons. It doesn't need the electronics of the phone to be a Touch. I think if the features of the phone and the touch were the same then I believe people would simply buy the phone over the touch, regardless of their carrier. This way they at least have the opportunity to switch carriers if they so choose. Of course I get that you have to sign a contract to get the subsidized price, but still.

You want the iPhone, the Touch, the Nano, and the Classic to actually be like the shuffle? The reasoning behind all of this is silly.

Here's my take on this. The shuffle is marketed to people who really just want music in their ears when they're active. When I ride my bike I have no interest in looking at a screen ... not to mention it's unsafe. The Nano was perfect for me at the gym before I got the Shuffle, yet in the end I still wished I had something smaller. Not to mention, if I lose the Shuffle then there's no love loss there. The Touch can't be the iPhone without a phone. In other words, you have to have a reason to want the touch over the phone other than the obvious contention for AT&T. Plus, I saw the new Touch and I'm super impressed with how thin it is. The phone can't be that thin. Finally the classic is great if you want to have your entire library in your pocket. Some people do have libraries that extend past 32 gb ... even some that extend past 160 gb no doubt.

That said, shake to shuffle would be great for all devices that can handle it so long as you can disable it. I personally can't see a reason to use the Touch or the iPhone while running, biking, etc etc. But hey, to each is own.

In the end I agree that some features can be brought to all devices, but you have to allow for separation regardless.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I think you missed the point of that post.

14. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

shake to shuffles should be easily added in the future since the iphone has an accelerometer

15. jstgermain macrumors newbie

Sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but, I didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject. Anyone wondering when and if apple is adding the shake feature soon, the answer is yes. It is on the 3.0 firmware. I found this thread cause I want to turn it off actually. And I know that it is on 3 cause I have a developer account with 3.0 beta 3 installed.

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Apple announced shake-to-shuffle at the conference about 3.0, it's been known for some time now, you don't have to be a developer to have watched the keynote :rolleyes:

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I have 3.0b2 on my ipod and I LOVE the shake to shuffle feature. I was doing yardwork (raking up all the damn dead grass) and its SO much easier to just double tap home and shake than to stop, take off my gloves, shuffle until some tunes show up i want to hear, and then put my gloves back on.

Frankly, I'm excited over it.

18. eivinfl macrumors newbie

I love the shake to shuffle feature as well. It'll be especially great when it is cold, or you otherwise wear gloves for some reason. Since i never fancied the iphone glove, i had to remove my glove when i wanted to switch songs. No more freezing because of song changes.

19. macuser154 macrumors 6502

Shake to Shuffle is being added in the iPhone 3.0 software.

20. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

The only thing is that the shake to shuffle works differently on the iPhone at the moment than it does on the Nano.

On the Nano, if you're listening to a pre-picked album, just the album, and you shake to shuffle, the Nano shuffles all the music stored on it.

On the iPhone if you follow the same steps, it only shuffles the songs within the current playlist/album.

I don't know if its a bug in the beta or they intend it to work that way, but i prefer the way the Nano shuffles personally.

21. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

On the other hand, the nano's way of doing things doesn't make sense for me at all.

22. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

What would be really great would be if there were a way to choose how shake to shuffle functions, then it'd work for everyone, but that may be hoping too much :p

23. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

24. gumball981 macrumors member

if your using apple's iphone headphones that come with the phone you never had to take off your gloves, just double tap the microphone, voila.

25. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Funny, because it seems to me as if a ton of the phone's apps involve moving it, shaking it, thrusting it, et cetera, taking advantage of the accelerometer.