iPhone sharing EDGE connection with PC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zackkmac, Jul 13, 2008.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I called AT&T to inquire about a USBConnect card and the rep said "Oh I happened to notice you have an iPhone. You won't need anything like the USBConnect card to use AT&T's internet, just use your iPhone and it'll share its connection with your PC/Mac." . I thought it was weird.

So I said "Really ma'am, can you explain how that works?" She said "Yes well you just get the USB cable, and plug one end to your iPhone and the other to your computer. Your computer will instantly recognize it and you can start using your iPhone's internet on your computer, provided you have a USB port."

What is she talking about? :confused:

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

another clueless ATT cust. service rep. Its not possible my friend with a USB cable or bluetooth. With hacking you can do it.

3. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I told her.

I said, "Well the only way I've heard of is by hacking the iPhone, which I'm sure AT&T and Apple would not want customers to do."

Then she stated "Yes, that's why the iPhone is so simple that all you need to do is connect it with the U-S-B cable and your laptop will automatically connect to your iPhone's internet connection." She said USB slowly and in annoyed tone, like I was the clueless one. :rolleyes:

4. angle macrumors regular

Bring in a laptop and ask for a demonstration ;)

5. operator207 macrumors 6502

Do you live in a state where its legal to tape conversations on the phone? (Texas is one such state, only one party needs to know the conversation is being taped) If so, call back in and see if you can get her again, tape her and put it somewhere we can listen to it. I would love to hear it, play it back to an ATT rep in a store, or back to her manager to see what they have to say. Seriously, their reps need to be weeded out for the idiots.

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

these ATT people are goddamn useless, im in UK and i know it..

these people are so stupid.. without doing anything when the computer is plugged into the iphone, you get internet?? i really dont think so... thick as two bricks the cretins are//