Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the fourth quarter of 2020, Apple saw its iPhone shipments in Gulf countries increase by 55% compared to the quarter prior, thanks to the launch of the 5G enabled iPhone 12 and last year's iPhone 11 lineup, according to market research by IDC.

iphone-12-pro-max.jpg

In total, the region saw smartphone shipments grow by 2.3% in the last quarter of the year compared to Q3, to a total of 2.26 million units. Specifically, Saudi Arabia represented nearly half of all smartphones shipped in the region for Q4. However, it witnessed an overall decline in shipments compared to the previous quarter. The UAE represented 26.1% of smartphone shipments for the region in the quarter and saw overall growth compared to Q3.

Quarter-on-quarter, Apple saw a significant increase of 55% in ‌iPhone‌ shipments, growth that was primarily enabled by the ‌iPhone 12‌ and last year's ‌iPhone 11‌ lineup. Akash Balachandran, IDC's senior research analyst, says that if it were not for shortages amongst Apple's supply chain, iPhone shipments would have been more prominent in the quarter.

prMETA47561821-F-1.png

Apple still, however, rests behind Samsung as the leading smartphone maker in the region. Samsung holds 42% of the market share for the GCC, 3% less than it did the previous quarter. Apple saw its market share increase by 7% to 23% in the final quarter of the year.

Article Link: iPhone Shipments to Gulf Countries Saw Double-Digit Growth in Q4 2020

Ahmed7

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2017
Bahrain
I live in a gulf country and I very rarely see people switching from iOS to Android, its always the other way around so this makes sense.

Reactions: StumpJumper

Ahmed7

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2017
Bahrain
I live in Saudi Arabia, and trust me when I say, the digital transformation over here is remarkable. The country is pushing for digital platforms very aggressively. Their 5G implementation and coverage is moving fast.
I agree, I just returned from Saudi two days ago. You guys literally have an app for everything now. Its becoming a little too digital for my taste but we have to embrace the future.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 603
Jul 22, 2002
NO! Because the only way Apple can grow is to try to get people holding onto iPhone 5’s to upgrade by adding TouchID! :)

Most phones in the world are old Android phones, so Apple still has a looong way to grow.

abdullamac77

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
Sure, I personally noticed a lot more people around me using iPhones here in Bahrain however let's be clear, Apple has a long way to go to get more market share in the region. Not everyone hear can afford iPhones and Samsung is aggressively selling their mid-range phones like crazy (A32 or A52 for example). Apple simply won't be able to match unless it's an older iPhone. Also keep in mind that the main messaging app being used everywhere in the region is Whatsapp, so leaving iMessages is easy.

timmy_apple

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2019
Miami, FL
I live in Saudi Arabia, and trust me when I say, the digital transformation over here is remarkable. The country is pushing for digital platforms very aggressively. Their 5G implementation and coverage is moving fast.
Thank you for this comment. The Western system of individuals have been brainwashed to the point that the majority accept their moral high ground and technological edge as a given.

Reactions: MacBH928

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Hopefully more good transformations will occur in the country in the future.

MacBH928

macrumors 604
May 17, 2008
I think most Americans and Europeans have a preference for a more muted color like the Graphite or Pacific Blue (my choice).

the joke about the gold finish was about how rich Saudi were, in reality Americans are richer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.