iPhone shipping is Unavailable in US (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, Apr 19, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Just noticed that iPhone is now shipping in 24hrs on the US store. Although I wanted the shortage to be because of an early 3G launch, looks like the prediction was wrong. Oh well, waiting, waiting, waiting.

EDIT: Looks like Apple quickly changed this back to the extended shipping window.

2. -Alan- macrumors member

Does AT&T offer 3G for other phones it sells?

3. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Most of their nicer phones offer 3G. PDA's, Media phones, etc.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Actually, even their regular phones offer 3G too...my old free Cingular Sync was 3G.

5. -Alan- macrumors member

It's odd Apple started out using their Edge network.

Anyway, if Apple does release a new version of the iPhone with access to AT&T's 3G network I'll probably take the plunge and ditch Sprint. :)

6. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

A lot of AT&T's phones have 3G. I had a $100 LG with 3G. I think it is becoming more widely used. Soon, the whole world will belong to 3G :eek:

7. simply258 macrumors regular

I ordered an iPhone on the 14th and it was estimated it would ship on the 21st but now they sent me an email saying it will ship May 12. I called Apple and they said the website was incorrect and it will be delayed 2 to 3 weeks.

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Nah, when that happens, people will be complaining that there isn't a 4G version of the iPhone XD.

O snap...so I'm guessing it's not 24 hours? =(

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anyone know??

Does anyone know why they can't shunt iPhones from Europe to the US?

Is there some region coding on the phones that have been bought too much of by O2, Orange... for UK, France, Germany etc?

Is there no way for them to negotiate to shift the stock out of UK shelves/backrooms to the US who seem to be selling them much better?

10. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I do know that there are some differences in settings. Outside of US, there appears to be a carrier selection in the settings menu. Maybe the firmware is different just from a carrier perspective and not functionality. That is the only thing I can think of.

11. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

no these are in each models...

the hardware is the same in each one?

just one has different carrier info

12. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

If you look at the UK model there is an additional setting in the menus for carrier. AT&T US model does not have this. Again, not sure what this does, but something the US model does not have.

13. NYYankees macrumors member

hey everyone, ive read these forums for a while, but im new to macrumors.

is it possible that apple updated their site to show 24 hrs because their earnings are coming out this week? i think apple is anticipating questions from shareholders about why their iphone orders are delayed 5-7 days. And by changing their site, they may be able to deflect some questions about this issue.

I know its a pretty reprehensible thing to do, but you never know?

14. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Maybe you will get a 3G build ;)

15. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

16. simply258 macrumors regular

they'd have to open them up to replace the O2 sim cards with AT&T cards

17. sjo macrumors 6502a

apple has already sold the phones to the operators and the revenues are on their balance sheet for the last calendar quarter 07. no way apple would buy those phones back or allow them to sell those phones in the us. besides, the revenue share the operators pay for apple is probably based on the number of iphones they have bought. so they not only have to sell the phones, but also get customers to sign 18/24month plans.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, the operators' overpurchase will presumably hit phone customers. I hope the cost is spread over all their contracts, and they don't hike iPhone monthly rates just to recoup lost earnings...

19. Surely Guest

Surely

No. No it's not.

They started out with EDGE:

1. so the thin iPhone battery would last longer than 20 minutes.

2. because AT&T's EDGE Network is more widespread across the U.S. and their 3G Network was really only available in specific cities.

Don't you think that if Apple could have originally released it as 3G, they would have?

20. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I bet that if Apple had released it originally with 3G, everyone would be complaining about the terrible battery life.

You can't please people...

21. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily. Planned obsolescence?

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple didn't need to build in planned obsolescence.
    The fact of 1) The US having a sucky coverage area last year for 3G and 2) 3G chips being battery intensive

in the main led to Jobs' decision. And he's quoted as being happy with the hard call he had. He could have added 3G, but at a painful cost. Short battery life whiners whine loud... In the context of the real world Apple customer, many would benefit more from a decent battery life than 3G that they may not know of/use much. That's not to say 3G isn't important, but Apple did it right in my book - as shown by the usage levels of the iPhone internet browser, adding 3G would have mean a hell of a lot of browsing, that would lead to very short times between recharges.

Anyway, water under the bridge. A lot of problems and things missing will be shown to be fixed by June. ;)

23. toddngina macrumors member

Exactly. Why sell just one phone to someone, when you can sell them two? Apple's not stupid, and they're not out to give the consumer everything they want right off the bat. They've got to keep you coming back for more! That's why you'll only see a 16 GB 2.0, I bet you'll see the 32GB around Christmas.

24. hercomserv macrumors newbie

I ordered an IPhone on 4/13 and got an email today that it shipped 4/21 and that I should receive in 4/28. Clicking on the tracking link shows that is is shipping per Fedex from SHENZHEN CN. So this phone is coming directly from China???

25. zmit macrumors regular

yes. they do.

i ordered mine on the 17th.... i hope mine didnt get caught up in that delayed lot :(