iPhone shock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lee.anderson, Jan 3, 2008.

1. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

hey,
    this might sound a little stupid but my iPhone is giving me electric shocks when I hold it in landscape mode. I think it is coming off the dock connector. What should I do, ask for a refund or can someone suggest a way to fix it.

And also another problem, when I call someone when I put my ear to the top of the phone I can hear a buzz like somethings lose when someone is talking sort of like the vibration off the sound is vibrating something inside. Its really annoying.
    Thanks

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

3. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

If you are near an Apple store, take it there and show them. That isn't something I have experienced and just isn't normal. I am sure they will replace the phone if it is doing that.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I noticed this same situation...

at my brother's house while walking on his carpet. Hopefully, you can reproduce that situation, but I resolved it for me by leaving HIS house! :cool::cool:

5. docprego macrumors 65816

What you are describing is static electricity, quite normal when walking on carpet and then touching a metal surface causing the static electricity to be discharged. What the OP is describing is decidedly different and completely abnormal, his phone should not be shocking him.

6. klimegreen macrumors newbie

shocking

I doubt the iPhone has enough voltage (amps) to produce a serious shock. Does in fact sound like static electricity discharging off the iPhone. but I wouldn't keep passing this voltage through your iPhone, man, that could really cause a problem.

7. jhnshft macrumors newbie

my iphone shocked my ears

I was walking in my neighborhood listening to music on my iPhone when I heard a crackling over it and the my ears were shocked by my ear buds. It was only doing it while in my pocket. I was wearing nylon running shorts. When I was walking with it in my hand, it wasn't happening. I'm not sure what to think. If something is defective, then I'm sure I can take it back. I don't want to go through the hassle though, if any device I have in a similar situation will do the same thing.

8. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

9. jennc98 macrumors newbie

My Iphone shocked me too...

I came onto here to see if what happened to me has happened to anyone else....
    I have an under the cabinet radio/cd player, and whenever someone's phone-nextel or iphone is near it, static and weird sounds comes out of the radio-even when it's off. Some sort of interference, and no big deal, we have lived with it doing that for years.

However, today when my phone rang, my battery died...so I plugged in my charger in the outlet next to the radio, so I could turn it back on and return the call. When I did, not only was the radio going crazy making noise,but everytime my phone touched my cheek, it zapped the crap out of my cheek. Same to my hand holding it. It happened about five times before I couldn't take it anymore and hung up.

I know it doesn't have much voltage, but the zaps hurt...and left my cheek and hand numb...no kidding.

I guess I was just wondering if this is "normal" although I'm pretty sure it's not. I got the phone from a friend who no longer wanted it, and i have no way of taking it back...is there something i should do to fix it, or what?
    Oh and I have all tile in my kitchen so the whole carpet static thing doesn't apply....................................

10. dpierre macrumors regular

I thought that I was the only one experiencing this. It usually happens to me in my work truck(no carpet). It has happened five times in the last week or so.

11. twist2b macrumors regular

Static electricity is a VERY strange thing. My grandparents house is REALLY REALLY bad with electrical shocks. Just existing in the house while listening to my iPod and I am shocked like CRAZY! NO JOKE! It hurts my ears like crazy. Whenever it starts to shock me I have to run out of the house for it to stop! Its terrible. Some houses are just bad like that. I think if enough shocks happen with your electronic (in this case iPhone) it can damage that electronic.

Do you feel the shocks OUTSIDE your house? Test this outside.

12. dpierre macrumors regular

IDK if you were talking to me or not, but it only happens to me when I am outside.

p.s. I have a 16gb 3g

13. Reefbone macrumors regular

Last night I was at the grocery. My phone was off but I had the ear phones in. As I approached the self check out. ZAP ! I got it bad in one ear. The iPod turned on and it started playing music! Really freaked me out but I left the headphones in anyways.

I drove home and when I went to take off my coat and got multiple repeated shocks in both ears. It was a pretty good series of zaps. I felt like a cow being led to slaughter.

My coat is wool and I think the static was caused by the the rubber cord rubbing on the coat. Kind of freaked me out... I didn't wear that coat today.

So whats the verdict here? I know static electricity in a natural phenomena but should this be happening to the device? Whats the risk of it erasing the drive?

14. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Yeah, if it's really shocking you, that's extremely odd and you need to return it.

15. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Oh, that's a new feature Apple is testing. Don't worry, you'll get used to it eventually. Before you know it, you'll love it and wonder how you ever functioned without it in the past. ;)

17. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Leaving the headphones in after a second shock make me think that perhapps you are about as clever as a cow going to the slaughter (LOL)