iPhone shoots grainy 1080p video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Habitus, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I recently purchased a iPhone 4s.

I noticed that some of the video I shoot appears clear and definitely appears as if it's 1080p.

However, I noticed that some of the videos appear grainy and not as clear as others.

Has anyone else noticed similar issues? Also, is this normal?

Thanks, all.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

1080p doesn't mean all your video will be clear. It depends on conditions. Are you in low light? Are you focused too close to the object? Etc.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

As long as you find that the rule "the darker it is, the grainier it gets" holds true, then that's just how cameras work.

Now, if you're seeing lots of grain out in the sun, something's wrong with your phone.

4. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I see; the best video I've shot this far--in terms of clarity--was outside with plenty of sunlight. The worst was inside with low light conditions.

Forgive me; I'm a video novice. Are you saying that grainy video should be expected in dimly-lit environments?

Any insight is much appreciated.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Yes; the dimmer the lighting, the grainier the video will be.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yes. In low light, gain has to be used. The downside to gain is that it amplifies everything including noise (the grain you see) of the sensor. It's handy rule of thumb to keep in mind when shooting any video on any equipment -- not just the iPhone.

Grain and resolution (180p) are entirely different things. You can have high resolution and very grainy video as you've encountered.

Have you never used any digital cameras? Same thing with them as well.