iPhone iPhone-shot videos not playing correctly after iOS6 upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rsmith83, Sep 22, 2012.

1. rsmith83 macrumors member

Apologies if this has been addressed previously but I wasn't quite sure what to search for.

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS6 on Wednesday before I left for a brief vacation. I used my phone to shoot several videos while I was away. When I came back, I plugged my phone into my PC and copied them over. They open in QuickTime 7 Pro but I just get sound with a black screen. I figured this may be some kind of codec issue so I uninstalled/reinstalled QuickTime 7 Pro and rebooted my machine. Nothing. Then I noticed that all videos I filmed pre-iOS6 still play fine on my PC. It's only on videos I shot after the software upgrade.

Is there something that I can do to play these on my PC, or some codec change that I need to be aware of? I am able to open the mov files in VLC and play them, but attempting to convert them with VLC gives me a corrupt, jumbled video. I'd like to be able to edit/rotate/crop some of the videos.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Paco43 macrumors newbie

I have the same prob, reported to them on 19/20th..No reply's yet. support blames others, only one that will work is Movie Maker!!

3. techtock macrumors newbie

techtock

Same problem here.

I am currently uploading video to vimeo, then downloading as an mpeg HD file and opening it in my video editor. Bit rate is much lower when I get it back though.

Videos play if you downgrade to Quicktime 7.6 but not well or VLC as you said. Looks like the issue is a Quicktime codec in the PC version of Apples software because my video edit software plays but drops frames when I regress to 7.6 but plays black on 7.2.2.

I know. Get a Mac...:apple:

4. rsmith83 thread starter macrumors member

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Just ran into this myself: 4S, iOS6, Quicktime 7.7.2, Windows 7.

I Googled it, and the first hit was the Apple forums, where multiple people were reporting the same problem. For now, I took one person's advice to download Quicktime 7.7.1 from oldapps.com. This is better than 7.6 in that it doesn't drop frames. So far it's working for me until a Quicktime update, which I hope is all that's needed (i.e. I hope it's not a problem with the encoding, as I intend to shoot video til then).

Regards,
    Tom