iphone, should i ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daniel000, Sep 21, 2009.

1. daniel000 macrumors member

Hi guys im looking at getting a Iphone 3Gs

It is going to be unlocked, and im wondering if it is worth getting, because im going to be using it on a pre paid service here in australia

Will i miss out on certain features or functions with using pre paid.
    also will there be an update of the iphone any time soon ?

thanks
    daniel

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

You will probably miss out on Visual Voice Mail if you don't use it on the official iPhone carrier, I love it ... but if you've never had it you won't notice. As for an update there will most likely be one next June.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Visual voicemail or 3G might not work, but that's about it. My phone is unlocked, and I love it. :)

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

AFAIK Apple sells unlocked iPhones in Australia.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Awesome. :p

6. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

I'm up in Brisbane with an unlocked (not jailbroken) 3GS.

Works fine. 3G coverage very good (rarely go below 2 bars, usually at about 4)

Am with vodafone, on a prepaid service. So msg/calls per minute can be a bit expensive, but usually $25 a month can get me through.

Edit: I commute heavily between Sunshine Coast/Gold Coast, so thats where most of my experience comes from. Australia's pretty big, so check out our own location coverage. I dont have 3G access a part of my plan (dont need it as I have a work phone) main reason why I went prepaid.

7. daniel000 thread starter macrumors member

8. SWISSHAT macrumors member

SWISSHAT

1. Buy an iPhone from an authorised dealer
    2. Buy an iPhone and also a dataplan (no point having iPhone and no dataplan, unless you are bedridden at home with wifi)
    3. Don't ask people if this store is legit or not, it is a stup.d question, how can we know? (BTW the website looks amatuerish)
    4. A new iPhone 3GS, 32Gb is about US$1000 with no strings attached, so try to figure out how he can sell you for $400 or whatever.
    5. Come back here after you buy your iPhone, it is surely a good toy to have.
    :D

9. reoreilly macrumors member

I'm in Australia too - bought a 16GB 3GS through Apple a few days ago and cannot recommend using the online store enough. I would absolutely not touch the store you linked to - looks like a crock. Up to you though. Apple Store delivers pretty quickly too, I'd say that's the best path. I'm using Optus pre-paid and the reception is a little patchy, but the prices are pretty great. Apparently Vodafone is the best carrier (if talking about price + coverage - although Telstra has the best coverage overall, but it's a lot more costly and dealing with their customer service is akin to being beaten half to death with a shoe). Hope this helps! :)