iPhone shuts off randomly

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by interleukin, Feb 2, 2011.

1. interleukin macrumors newbie

I've got a strange problem with my wife's iPhone. I seem to have narrowed it down, however it's still not clear. This is a iPhone 2g running 3.1.3. (upgrade already, right? ;))

Out of the blue the phone turns off randomly. Power it on and it turns off. Taking out the SIM card the phone does not turn off randonly, will stay on all day. Same thing with the SIM card in, but Airplane mode ON. Turn Airplane mode off, phone shuts down. On another iPhone almost the same setup, put that same SIM in and it works fine. I've tried reinstalling the software with no luck.

I suspected at one point maybe some moisture or dust accumulated in there, threw it in a sealed box with some desiccate, didn't help. Took the vacuum hose to it, sucked the ends, magically it started working fine. Coincidence? A few days later the phone stops working again and the vacuum trick no longer works.

I think this could be one of a few issues. There is something shorting out the phone in airlplane mode, because I'm assuming with it ON it removes power from the SIM card. Second, it could be a software issue, but the phone hadn't been synced or updated in a while. I've done a couple surgeries on this phone including replacing the digitizer so it's possible some part has degraded due to use in the phone.

TIA :)

2. maxzzz macrumors newbie

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. I have the exact same issue.