iPhone signal improvement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPS, Jul 11, 2008.

1. JPS macrumors regular

Is the new phone any better at getting a stronger cell signal in a weak area?

2. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

A friend and I went to check out the new iPhone 3G this morning, both him and myself have the iPhone 2G, we compared them to the 3G and we both got better signals on our 2Gs... But the new iPhone looks awesome, I'm considering buying but it's not definite as of now.

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

4. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

The signal is considerably weaker on the new 3G. However once I turn the 3G off in the preferences then it goes back up to where it was before.

From this I guess that the phone favours a 3G signal whenever possible no matter how weak it might be.
    I just wish it wasn't such a hassle to have to turn the 3G on and off all the time.

5. ne0star macrumors regular

I must admit the whole 'plastic back will improve signal strength' seems to be a load of old cobblers.

I turned the 3G off on one of the demo units in my local O2 store and it got the exact same number of bars as my 2G.

6. TransientWolf macrumors member

I live in a weak signal area in the UK and have gone from no signal/1 bar to 3 bars. No 3G where I live.