iPhone signal inconsistency??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KapitanIksrog, Jul 10, 2008.

1. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

My manager at work came in today and asked me to charge her iPhone for her. I happened to notice that she had 5 bars for her signal (something I have never seen at my desk).

Since about 8AM I have been comparing the two phones
    - Side by side laying flat on a desk
    - One docked (and charging) the other standing up next to it
    - One outside the door (about 25 feet away), the other inside docked

The results were that her iPhone was never anything but 4 or 5 bars. I would say 50/50 for those signals. My iPhone was 2 bars inside and 3 bars outside, with occasional drops to 0 or 1 bar (basically there is a consistent gap of at least 2 bars between the phones). Mine is a 07/2007 launch phone and hers was purchased about 2 months ago.

I last compare I did was a speed test page (both phone laying flat on a table next to each other at 5 minute intervals).

Hers: 132kbps, 137kbps, 135 kbps
    Mine: 64.9kbps, 74.7kbps, 63.8kbps

My signal on my phone has always been something that I complained about but now I feel like I have a legit issue. Is there anything I can do about it? Are there other tests I should be performing?

I am upgrading tomorrow so its probably pointless but it also makes me a little weary of selling it knowing that there seems to be an issue.

2. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Do you have the same kind of SIM? e.g. do you have an old sim-card, then that might be the reason.