iphone sim card in prepaid phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Apr 5, 2009.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I have a att iphone 3g, but i was wondering if when i go snowboarding, i can take my iphone simcard out and put it in my old tmobile prepaid phone.

I don't want to risk breaking my iphone

2. JerFresh macrumors newbie

I do not know if it will work in a t-mobile pre paid phone but my iPhone broke and I put my sim card into a pre paid AT&T phone and it worked without a problem.

3. CarlyLyon macrumors member

it wont work with a tmobile phone but it will work with a cingular/att phone

4. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

why not arn't they all gsm..?

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Yes. But in all likelihood the tmobile phone is equipped with a SIM lock, which is a technological measure that prevents the phone from communicating with any SIM card unless the card identifies itself as belonging to the same network that originally sold the phone.

If you've unlocked your tmobile phone, then unless it's an extremely old model (incompatible with recent SIM card specs), it certainly will work with an AT&T SIM card. If the tmobile phone happens to be a 3G model, and it attempts to communicate using tmobile's 3G implementation, then it will be restricted to 2G while operating on AT&T's network due to incompatible frequencies.

6. fenderbass146 thread starter macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Alright that makes since, i guess ill just give it a try when i get it, and the 3g wouldnt matter, i just want a phone to toss in my pocket that I don't care about breaking, worse comes to worse i will just get a at&t prepaid phone