iPhone SIM Card Labeled "3G"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asherman13, Jun 30, 2007.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I just had a look at my iPhone's SIM card, and it has an orange "3G" symbol on it.

Could this mean that our iPhones are actually 3G-capable, and simply waiting for a firmware/software update?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It would've had to been disclosed on the iPhone FCC disclosure. The sim card is probably 3G so if it is put in another phone it will give 3G speeds. The iPhone will not be upgradable to 3G via software/firmware.

3. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure 3G doesn't have anything to do with the SIM card. It's got to do with the electronics in the phone. AT&T just puts 3G on all of their SIM cards (probably just to advertise that they carry 3G phones and have 3G data networks.)

4. thejedipunk macrumors regular

thejedipunk

Are you freaking kidding me?! To advertise that they carry 3G phones?! Where is a SIM card located?! It's always under a batter cover! If it's to advertise that they have 3G phones and networks, then how are you supposed to even know that when you're not looking at the damn SIM when you use your phone?!

On topic,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is my RAZR V3 that I've used for almost a year now. That is a Cingular SIM card. And everyone knows that a RAZR V3 has NO 3G radio in it.