iphone sim card question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dobbs2, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Ok I just recently purchase an iphone 32gb 3gs. I had a first gen black jack that saved most of my numbers to the actual phone. When apple was activating my phone they added the few contact that were on my old sim card and put my new sim card back in. I'm planning on visiting Europe in the coming months and wanted to know if I could buy a pay as you go sim card there and actually get service for the phone while avoiding att roaming charges. Is the phone locked to only att sim cards or will my US phone except pay as you go sims?

2. 420-THC macrumors member

I'm pretty sure if you call AT&T coustemer care and tell them your going out of the country they will tell you it needs to be unlocked. :cool:

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

To answer your question, the iPhone is locked to AT&T. If you're going to take it out of country, you'll be roaming on international rates (which are expensive).
    When I went to europe, I took an old, unlocked phone and put my iPhone on airplane mode. I was still able to use the wi fi and the iPod.
    Otherwise, you can check if anyone has an unlock for your phone.

4. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I jailbreak it then will I be able to use a sim card from that country while abroad? Or do I need to jailbreak it then unlock it?

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

It needs to be unlocked.

And if your phone is from a country in which no official unlock is available (such as the USA) then the only way to unlock it is to hack it. And one of the intermediate steps in the hacking process is to jailbreak. So, to answer your question succinctly: you need to both jailbreak and unlock it.