Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpb14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I am excited about getting the new iPhone on Friday but will miss the tethering ability of my current phone (Samsung Blackjack). So here's a unique question for you all...

Is it possible to (i.e. has anyone) transfer an iPhone SIM card to another phone and been able to access data on the other phone? In short, I'm curious if I could occasionally put the SIM from my iPhone into my Blackjack and tether my laptop as normal.

I'm guessing this isn't possible for several reasons (e.g. pain in the a$$, different data plans) but figured it's worth asking.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I am excited about getting the new iPhone on Friday but will miss the tethering ability of my current phone (Samsung Blackjack). So here's a unique question for you all...

Is it possible to (i.e. has anyone) transfer an iPhone SIM card to another phone and been able to access data on the other phone? In short, I'm curious if I could occasionally put the SIM from my iPhone into my Blackjack and tether my laptop as normal.

I'm guessing this isn't possible for several reasons (e.g. pain in the a$$, different data plans) but figured it's worth asking.

The 3G iPhone has the same data plan right?

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
Thats just retarded. What if i drop my iphone and the sim card pops out. Are you telling me I cant use my phone until I go to the damn ATT to "unbrick it" I am just about to not get a damn iphone. ATT service isnt' great. This might be the last straw.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
Thats just retarded. What if i drop my iphone and the sim card pops out. Are you telling me I cant use my phone until I go to the damn ATT to "unbrick it" I am just about to not get a damn iphone. ATT service isnt' great. This might be the last straw.

That most likely applies to the iPhones in Canada. Rogers Telecom is legendary for screwing customers. They will probably charge the customer to unbrick the phone too.:mad: At least with AT&T you will be able to swap your SIM in and out, I hope! We will all know on Friday!

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
It would sure put a "damper" on unlocked iPhones. It is a Canadian rumor but it would make sense for Apple to have it the same everywhere. I plan to pick up a iPhone on Friday (hopefully...if apple has not said "the hell with Rogers") but I want to still be able to swap my sim between the 3G and my unlocked iPhones. I hope that this is a "false" rumor!!:(

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I'm Bluetooth tethering my Samsung A737 right now, and I also plan to swap the iPhone SIM to the A737 whenever I need to tether. I hope it works like I expect it to!

ccaragol

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
bump

I would like to know this as well. I have a Blackjack and occasionally need to tether (once a month or so). It's necessary enough to keep me from picking up an iPhone so I'm itching to find out if this is possible.

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
in UK

everytime i take out my o2 sim card and put in any other o2 sim card - i have to connect to iTunes before it will work

the 'carrier' option in the settings menu disappears

there must be something in the software that locks the network everytime the sim tray is ejected and unlocks it again when connected to iTunes

only good thing i can think off is that if someone were to nick my iPhone, they wouldn't be able to use it till they got a computer with iTunes - hopefully enough time for me to request an imei block!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

one thing people who are tethering may want to bear in mind is that it's against AT&T's terms of service. If they catch you (and they can) you could end up with a very, very big bill. There have been reports of people getting charged thousands of dollars in data charges for unauthorised tethering....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.