Iphone SIM Card Switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TommyBohn, Feb 3, 2009.

1. TommyBohn macrumors newbie

I was thinking about buying my friends iphone and I was just wondering if I take the sim card out of my at&t phone, and put it in the iphone, will the price i pay for my old phone be the same per month?

I know the Iphone can cost as little as $60, and I don't want to get his phone if it is going to cost a lot..

Thanks

2. seand1111 macrumors regular

2g or 3G? if a 3G, expect to pay the data plan at $30 per month. IF a 2G, then you dont have to have data or you can pay $20 for data and 200 text.

I have not seen anything that says you can or can not swap SIM's...do it and see what happens...

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Are you planning to add a data plan to your account? Especially if you're planning to use an iPhone, which uses data mostly. It will cost you more if there's no data plan on your account and you kept on surfing on Safari or play those online game apps, or checking mail ;)

5. TommyBohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the first one, which I am assuming the 2G.

6. TommyBohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want to have to pay extra for Safari and all of that. If I pop in my SIM card in, will it b the same price as my old phone? Thats all I need to know.

7. seand1111 macrumors regular

yeah, then you dont have to pay for the data plan if its a 2G (the first iPhone style you are refering to), in fact when you get it up and running, call ATT and have them add a WIX block to your line so you dont get any data or data charges then.

you could just get a new SIM from ATT and activate the phone on itunes, just choose the option to transfer your number.....its easy to do.

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First, you can't just put your SIM in and have it work unless your friend had Unlocked it! The original iPhone, that's what Apple calls it, requires the SIM to be paired with the iPhone and it is done with iTunes. This is also how the original iPhone is activated for use on the AT&T network.

So, based on your previous posts, you will have to Unlock the phone to use your existing SIM. Once you do that you can just put your SIM in the phone and it will work. However, before you do that call Customer Care and as a previous poster indicated, have a WIXBLOCK placed on the line. The rep will ask for IMEI of your existing phone, that's why you want to do this before using the original iPhone. This will prevent any data from being used.

Please note that you will also not be able to use the Visual Voicemail feature as is requires a valid iPhone data plan.

Dave