iPhone sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pavvento, Jun 29, 2007.

1. pavvento macrumors 6502

Incase anyone didn't know, the sim card does work in every other phone and is removable. I just took mine out (need to put a paperclip in the sim tray and pry it out) and then you can pop your sim back in any other phone.

The guy at AT&T told me this was not possible and that if I wanted to have a different phone (weekends, bars etc.) that I would have to add another line or get a go-phone and use call forwarding.

For everyone out there, just pop it out and go.

Also, everything else works on the iphone without a sim card, the ipod etc.

2. OziMac macrumors 6502

So - let me get this straight - you activated the iPhone and signed up to the contract; then you popped out the SIM and put it in another phone on which you can still use the voice/data that you're paying for under the iPhone plan.

And without a SIM, the iPhone still functions as everything but a phone?

3. iphoneurope macrumors newbie

Cool, do you have another sim card of T-Mobile or something? Could you try to reset iPhone without the sim card and then insert the T-Mobile sim card and see if it works with T-Mobile after reset. :)

4. kevinwiz macrumors regular

my sim card says 3G on it... do they all say this? whats up with this

5. cyberone macrumors regular

i second that: try another sim card!!!

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yeah mine says 3G too. BTW, I am typing this on my iPhone, this thing is amazing!

7. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

Yea one of the first things I did was copy all the numbers from my old sim to my old phone, swap SIMs, and copy the numbers to the new SIM. The iPhone won't see these but I have all my numbers on the new sim now if I chose to use another phone.

8. aiongiant macrumors 6502a

yea try another sim card from another provider hehe

i too am curious if you can use the iphone without the sim card as everything except making calls

9. tomguy macrumors newbie

No go

Just like everyone should've expected..

I placed a non-at&t sim into the phone and said I must use an approved sim.

10. iphoneurope macrumors newbie

Did you reset the phone before insert a Non AT&T sim card? I was wondering if it stores IMSI on the flash drive then if to get access to the iPhone drive we could change IMSI and get it work.

11. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

How about a prexising cingular/att sim card? If that is possible, would save me the hassle of having to sign up for a 2 year contract.