iPhone SIM & Data Plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Colonel Badger, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

So we just got an iPhone for me and a Sony Ericsson for the wife. To cut a long story short we ended up transferring our old numbers to the new phones but something got screwed and my Wife ended up with my number and I ended up with hers. After many calls to ATT we ended up swapping SIMs and the ATT rep transfered the data plans around (That was ATTs suggestion).

However I'm a bit concerned. I'm sure somewhere I read that the SIM in an iPhone was different to a regular SIM. So the question is, are there any differences between my wife and my SIM (which are now swapped). Also, how can I tell on my iPhone that the iPhone data plan is setup? Are there services I can try on the iPhone that are ONLY available with an iPhone data plan?

The numbers work right now, and so far my internet access etc. (over EDGE right now i'm out of 3G range) all seem ok.

Thanks

Mark.

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No magic iPhone SIM, so you are fine there.

You can try Visual Voicemail as that would be an iPhone specific function and only work with the iPhone data plan.

dave

3. lavinci macrumors 6502

I'm fairly sure that on any iPhone 3G/3GS running 3.0, the phone will give them an error saying it could not activate the data.

4. Surrix macrumors regular

Try Visual Voicemail. If it doesn't work, you may be able to fix it by dialing 611, then 1, then 3, then 3 (I believe), to reset VVM password. If this doesn't work, you'll need to call AT&T to get them to ensure you have the iPhone plan.