Carrier iPhone "SIM free" Model debate

EW406

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Montana
I am having a debate with my friend about the model iPhone I bought off the Apple App Store app.

I chose to pick the "SIM Free" XS Max this year, rather than pay off my X from Verizon on payments I purchased last year.

He told me that was dumb because the "SIM Free" models don't have Verizon support.

I laughed at him like he was crazy and said, Yeah it does. Even CDMA.

He said no, there is no CDMA support on the "SIM free" edition of iPhones from Apple.....

People..... prove me right?

MrAperture

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
All models support GSM and CDMA regardless of carrier/sim-free. Previous iPhone 7-X were dependent on which carrier/sim-free option you chose due to Apple using both Intel and Qualcomm modems at the time.

This year it's only Intel.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
You've done the right thing. There are only 2 cellular variants, A1921 for US and Canada and A2101 for other countries.

The only differences are LTE band 71 (600 MHz) on A1921 and LTE band 28 (700 APT MHz) for A2101.

Enjoy your unlocked phone and full eSIM support when iOS 12.1 is released.

EW406

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Montana
You've done the right thing. There are only 2 cellular variants, A1921 for US and Canada and A2101 for other countries.

The only differences are LTE band 71 (600 MHz) on A1921 and LTE band 28 (700 APT MHz) for A2101.

Enjoy your unlocked phone and full eSIM support when iOS 12.1 is released.
Was a big reason why I chose so. Thanks for the reaffirmations my fellow posters. Going to his place tonight for Monday Night Football, and I will gladly be showing him everyones posts!

Yes that's what I put on my parenthesis.
My bad, I should have read longer. Thanks.

TrumpWon!

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2017
I am having a debate with my friend about the model iPhone I bought off the Apple App Store app.

I chose to pick the "SIM Free" XS Max this year, rather than pay off my X from Verizon on payments I purchased last year.

He told me that was dumb because the "SIM Free" models don't have Verizon support.

I laughed at him like he was crazy and said, Yeah it does. Even CDMA.

He said no, there is no CDMA support on the "SIM free" edition of iPhones from Apple.....

Your friend is so wrong. Honestly idk why anyone wouldn’t go with the sim free model (other than those on upgrade programs). I always opt for the sim free models because it gives you the freedom to use it on whatever carrier you want and you don’t have to mess with entering carrier information when purchasing from Apple’s site.

EW406

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Montana
Your friend is so wrong. Honestly idk why anyone wouldn’t go with the sim free model (other than those on upgrade programs). I always opt for the sim free models because it gives you the freedom to use it on whatever carrier you want and you don’t have to mess with entering carrier information when purchasing from Apple’s site.
Indeed he is. And ive had no problem rubbing this in his face.

With that said this is the first year I have purchased the Sim Free version, as I was still less than half my payments thru my 256GB X from last year, so I didn't want to pay the phone off and return it (I want to sell it on Swappa). So I bit the bullet for a few more bucks and bought Sim Free. And I think I may never turn back. Its a great option, especially if I cancel providers, I can just keep the phone and bring it over to another carrier.

Reactions: TrumpWon!

sbuntin

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Portland OR
Good choice.
Also note that previous SIM-free models in the US did have CDMA support. It was the TMobile and AT&T variants that were GSM only.

Reactions: Peter K.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.