iPhone SIM Help (O2 UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by faffoo, Jul 30, 2008.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

My dad has an existing iPhone and is thinking of upgrading to an iPhone 3G. In witch case his iPhone SIM will be transfered into his new one. This leaves him with a SIM'less Orriginal iPhone. I was hoping I would be able to use his old iPhone as a 'hand-me-down'. I am on an O2 Simplicity tarriff. Would I be able to just put my simplicity SIM in my dads old iPhone. From what I understand the iPhone just checks it is an O2 SIM.

I went into my local O2 store to find out and the guy said he wasnt sure. But he seemed to know allot more than he was telling us.

All help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    :apple:

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Yup.
    Sold my orig iphone to a guy on Simplicity. He just put his sim card in, connected the phone to itunes, it asked for his address details and then synced up the phone.

He's now using the phone on the simplicity contract with no problems at all.

(PS It says quite clearly on the o2 website that this is possible, I have no idea why the hell the guy in the o2 store didn't know something simple like that)

3. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Allot for that. Just got to convince my dad to buy an iPhone 3G. Will I need to unlock to do this or what. Also what will hapen with regards to data (ie email, internet, and more) while on the go. And Visual Voicemail!

:apple:

4. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

5. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Do i click pay monthly or pay as you go for simplicity

6. trcwest macrumors newbie

iphone 2g & simplicity sim

So i am going to buy an old 2g IPHONE (any one got a good deal??)

then buy the 02 Simplicity 25 for £20 PM with the web bolt on.

Then this will work in the old iphone? will i have to re regester it at all??

So in a nut shell

Iphone 2g and simplicity 25 tarif will work fine and well with web browsing on it and i wont have to unlock it or do anything??