iPhone SIM in an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jhobson, Mar 2, 2011.

1. jhobson macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3gs which my employer pays for. I've set up call forwarding on it, and use it for apps/data/email. I'd like to swap the 3gs SIM into an iPad without losing call forwarding, but still get data on the Ipad.

Anyone have experience using an iPhone SIM in an iPad long term? Do calls still get forwarded?

2. forum user macrumors regular

The SIM is giving the identity to the phone hardware, so you won't need to worry about call forwarding from the 3Gs and the iPad.

Problem will be that the iPad takes a mini SIM and the 3Gs has a normal sized SIM. It is possible to cut down in size the SIM, but when putting the mini SIM back into the 3GS your will need an adapter.
    Otherwise the smaller mini SIM will slide around in the standard size SIM tray and it won't work correctly.

- Olaf

3. jhobson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The SIM was originally for an iPhone4 which I gave to my wife, and took her 3gs in return. I cut her SIM from the 3gs to fit the iPhone 4 and put the iPhone4 SIM in an adapter tray so that it would fit in the 3gs. My understanding is that the iPhone4 and iPad share the same size micro SIM. I'm hoping I can just swap the SIM over.

4. forum user macrumors regular

Yes, they do.

If you have the adapter tray ready you should be fine, then.

- Olaf

5. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

So when I get the iPad 2, I should be able to use my i4 sim card for data service and not have to buy more data from AT&T?

6. ivandr macrumors regular

Actually if you take the sim out of the 3GS it would no longer be active on the network (doesn't have a sim and so isn't connected).
    If you have call forwarding set up directly with the carrier (ie called them and asked to have all calls forwarded to xxx-xxx-xxxx) the forwarding should continue (not sure if this is even possible...)

BUT if you go into the phone menu (Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding) and set it up that way, then as soon as you remove the sim call forwarding wouldn't happen because as I mentioned above once removed the 3GS is no longer associated with your phone number on the cell network.

Hope this makes sense.

7. lapocompris macrumors regular

Not so fast, AT&T could detect that your device is an iPad and cut your access.

8. dansto82 macrumors newbie

From what u have heard it will not work. Att sees what device it(SIM) is using(by the IMEI number) then they will suspend the data access. They might not catch it right away but they will catch it.

9. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I swapped sim card from one iphone 4 to another. I had call forwarded before the swap, after the swap in was still forwarded. My Sim card also works in my ipad for data service. Since my phone is with rogers in Canada it my not apply to the USA