Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Hello,

Might be getting an android phone for free and was wondering if I can simply switch the sim cards back and forth depending what mood I am in (lol). I know the iPhone 4 uses a mini sim, but I can get an adapter for that.

Question is - does AT&T frown upon this or will the data plan stay the same regardless?

Thanks.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hello,

Might be getting an android phone for free and was wondering if I can simply switch the sim cards back and forth depending what mood I am in (lol). I know the iPhone 4 uses a mini sim, but I can get an adapter for that.

Question is - does AT&T frown upon this or will the data plan stay the same regardless?

Thanks.

I'm not sure it will work. The iPhone sim card is connect to an iPhone and iPhone only. For you to use the Android OS phone, you'd have to get another sim card with the appropriate data plan.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm not sure it will work. The iPhone sim card is connect to an iPhone and iPhone only. For you to use the Android OS phone, you'd have to get another sim card with the appropriate data plan.

That's incorrect. As long as you have a micro sim adapter, you can just put it in any unlocked or AT&T branded phone. Depending of the model of phone, it may or may not support AT&T 3G bands. But everything else will work.

So far I haven't gotten in any type of problems swapping my sim in multiple phones often.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Works for me... I used an adapter to put my ip4 sim in my Nexus One. I wish Google would hurry OTA update me to Gingerbread so I could switch back to my iP4 :mad:

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I thought if you had an iPhone data plan you could not switch it to a noniPhone without AT&T switching your plan out? That would suck if you have the unlimited iPhone plan.... Not 100% sure about my assumption though!!!!

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
Hello,

Thanks.

I swap to my Nexus 1 all the time, all you need to do is get a micro sim adapter and you're good to go.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY

^Bad and erroneous information, disregard any advise from this post^

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
I thought if you had an iPhone data plan you could not switch it to a noniPhone without AT&T switching your plan out? That would suck if you have the unlimited iPhone plan.... Not 100% sure about my assumption though!!!!

It's the other way around, if you have a data plan other than an iPhone data plan you will get switched automatically when you put your non iPhone data sim into an iPhone. Lots of misinformation on this thread. :rolleyes:

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX

where did you get that notion? as long as the "other" phone is micro sim compatible you can use it...or as some suggest use an adapter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.