Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So, I have an iPhone. Its great, I love it, its battery sign isn't working, but Apple said its software only. Either way, I'm loving this phone!

However I also have a BlackJack from AT&T, a decent phone. Does a few things iPhone doesn't, so I'm planning on keeping it. I know the SIM card from my iPhone works in the BlackJack for phone call, but does the data plan?

Will AT&T know that I'm using the BlackJack with data, and charge me for a non-iPhone plan(the 1kb/1cent)? Do they even care? I'm planning on downloading AIM for the BlackJack, will the be able to see that?

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
So, I have an iPhone. Its great, I love it, its battery sign isn't working, but Apple said its software only. Either way, I'm loving this phone!

However I also have a BlackJack from AT&T, a decent phone. Does a few things iPhone doesn't, so I'm planning on keeping it. I know the SIM card from my iPhone works in the BlackJack for phone call, but does the data plan?

Will AT&T know that I'm using the BlackJack with data, and charge me for a non-iPhone plan(the 1kb/1cent)? Do they even care? I'm planning on downloading AIM for the BlackJack, will the be able to see that?

No, Not unless u tell them specifically that u are using the blackjack..

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
No, Not unless u tell them specifically that u are using the blackjack..

Their system CAN determine which phone you have. I have two phones a motorola c139 and a nokia 5700. If i swithc phones my online account shows which phone is being used.

zap2

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Well, my number still says I've been using a BlackJack the whole time, when I moved to an iPhone on the 6th of July

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Well, my number still says I've been using a BlackJack the whole time, when I moved to an iPhone on the 6th of July

If you are on ATT's website it has trouble keeping up. I was on and noticed it had my treo listed, but when you click any of the links that give you detailed info about the phone, it switched over to the iphone. I think it's a bug in their software.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Their system CAN determine which phone you have. I have two phones a motorola c139 and a nokia 5700. If i swithc phones my online account shows which phone is being used.

Not true. I been using a 8525 and they think i had the Razor for the past 2yrs.. they're system cannot detect what phone you have. I have had cingular for the past 8yrs. So i know how their system n such work. And online account... u can change what fone u are using.. it's not always Accurate.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Ha, if y'all are talking about the picture that shows which phone you have on your AT&T account page, mine switches between iPhone, RAZR, some Sony Ericsson phone and other random phones. This of course bothers me so I click on the option to switch my phone and sometimes it works, often though I get an "this feature cannot be used at this time, please check back later" What the crap, what feature am I exactly using. The change your account's phone picture to more accurately represent the phone you actually own feature?

Juvenile

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Not true

dude just sell the black jack now on ebay..... iphone is all you need.

If you want to tether on your laptop, the iPhone is not "all you need".

As far as AT&T knowing what phone you are on...they may notice if you are using 3G service on an EDGE data plan if you have your sim card in a BJ.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
blackjack and iphone use identical media max plans

I agree with this. The plans are identical in price. Probably just named different on the bill.

It shouldn't matter which phone you use, but calling to confirm wouldn't hurt either.

DylanG

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
The Blackjacks are supposed to use the more expensive PDA plans. The Media plans are supposed to be for WAP phones only but some people have been able to get them attached to Blackjacks.

AT&T does know which phone you're using and whether you're using 3G. If they cared enough they could mine their data to determine that you are using a cheaper plan then they are supposed to allow. I don't know whether they do this. Based on other discussions I've read you can generally get away with it if you don't abuse it. An example of abusing it would be to tether your laptop and download gigabytes of data.

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
AT&T had my phone listed as "Unknown" or some such for the past two years. Could be because I switched to an unlocked SLVR.

I upgraded my mother's phone to a RAZR last year, but AT&T still had her phone listed as the old Samsung, until I called and mentioned she was using a RAZR. Suddenly, her phone is now listed as a RAZR.

Her old Samsung went to my father. AT&T lists his phone as "unknown".

So, based on my very limited data set, I'd say AT&T doesn't always seem to know what phone you're using. In most cases, they probably don't care.

Juvenile

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I agree with this. The plans are identical in price. Probably just named different on the bill.

It shouldn't matter which phone you use, but calling to confirm wouldn't hurt either.

The delta of the two plans is $30. My bill went down when switching to the iPhone.

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
Not true. I been using a 8525 and they think i had the Razor for the past 2yrs.. they're system cannot detect what phone you have. I have had cingular for the past 8yrs. So i know how their system n such work. And online account... u can change what fone u are using.. it's not always Accurate.

That's what I thought. Gave my wife the Treo 750 I had and signed in this morning and her line is showing the Treo. I didn't change anything in the web site, I think they have been makign some "improvements."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.