iPhone SIM in "crap phone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nateharr, Sep 7, 2009.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a rugged "crap phone" I can get and put my iPhone SIM card in? I've heard you can do this with walmart tracfones but I want to be sure.

I've sold my iPhone on eBay to get a Macbook Pro and I need a temporary phone replacement. I'm going to cancel my data plan and just need to make phone calls and the occasional text.

2. Illinoisbmx macrumors newbie

Yes it works, I bought a cheapo just to use when I'm at work or places where the iphone might get broken.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

look on

craigslist lots of good deals a you will get a better then a pay in go phone imo. and yeah as soon as you pop the sims in it will tell AT&T what phone model you have etc. you will see the new phone on your phone info/ instead of the iphone you will see what the new phone. this is why swapping the sims to get mms only works for a little while.

4. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much!

I think I'm getting this.

5. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

just pick up a used razr. u can prob get one for 24$ they work fine for calls

6. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

You might want to be careful, I don't know if Tracfone sim locks their phones or not, but your AT&T sim might not work in that phone.

I would just buy a cheap AT&T goPhone. I bought one at Best Buy for like $15 about 9 months ago, and it worked perfectly.

7. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Thanks.

8. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Here's another question that's kind of similar.
    Ok, maybe not similar, but the OP's question reminded me of this:

Within the next year, I will be entering a job where an iPhone would be in danger of being broken, lost, etc. I would like to obtain an exact copy of my SIM card, so I can use a different phone while working, then use the iPhone while not working. I want to do this to avoid having to swap out my SIM card twice a day.

Is there any way to do this legitimately with AT&T?
    Or would I either have to go through a not-so-legitimate route (copying the SIM card?) or just add a line for $10/month?