iPhone SIM Lock question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tallpaul86, Jul 15, 2008.

1. tallpaul86 macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2008
    Been looking at an iPhone now for quite a while now however the only barrier for myself is that O2 is the only approved carrier/retailer of the iPhone in the UK (i wouldn't entrust them to make me 2 slices of toast let alone provide my telephony services)

Now T-Mobile being my preferred network provider, i do know that the iPhone is being sold in Germany on the T-Mobile network - instead of going through all the hassle of unlocking and only being able to use half the features (or worst still having to settle for the iPhone 2G :eek: ) could you not purchase an iPhone locked to T-Mobile Germany through eBay Germany for example? I would've thought with it being locked to T-Mobile already i would've assumed that it would be a simple of case of insert sim card, input a few settings and Robert's your mother's brother

Or is it a bit more complicated than that? Ideally i'd rather save up for the iPhone 3G with the GPS etc built in...
  2. ieani macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now
    I seek an answer to the same question. I am moving to Germany in a year, so a two year contract here is worthless. However, Tmobile is here and they are the iphone provider in germany so I dont see why I couldnt buy a german one, use it here for a year and then transfer it over within tmobiles system.
  3. huski macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2008
    Same here, I'm considering getting iPhone from O2 but don't want to be with that network. First, I travel rather often and roaming would kill me, second I simply want to have a choice.
  4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2008
    Between Heaven and Hell
    I would just call T mobile customer services and ask. However i am really surprise that you would prefer T-mobile over O2. I think O2 network is much stronger network than T-mobile (at least in the UK), i mean if i would to rank the networks her, it would be:

1) vodafone
    2) O2
    3) T-mobile