iPhone Simulator locks up immediately upon Build / Run

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by 40developer7, Apr 17, 2010.

1. 40developer7 macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem getting my **MacBook** set up to build **iPhone** **apps** in **xCode**. The iPhone **Simulator locks up** and shows the "spinning circle" busy icon.

I've tried everything I can think of, including

- resetting the simulator
    - tried all of the different hardware options in the Simulator (5 or 6)
    - tried the two debug build choices in xCode.
    - uninstalling the SDK and completely reinstalling
    - tried creating xCode projects on Desktop and in \Developer...

I downloaded the SDK "**xcode_3.2.2**_and_iphone_**sdk_3.2**_final"

I'm just upgraded from Leopard to **Snow Leopard (10.6.3)**. I've run all the software updates. **xCode** version says **3.2.2** (1650)

If it matters, my MacBook is 3-4 years old, 13 inch, dual 2.16 ghz intel cores, 2 gig RAM. I've never had a single problem with it.

I would be so grateful if anyone can help me

thanks so much,

2. skunkworker macrumors regular

Does it work to build for an actual device? And which application locks up? Xcode or iPhone simulator. Use the activity monitor to see if a program stops responding. Also you don't need the "**something**" everywhere.

3. 40developer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the help

I just finished installing the 4.0 SDK. (on someone else's recommendation). I made a new windows-based iPhone app (HelloWorld) and tried a build/run (Simulator-4.0 | Debug)

Same exact behavior... The simulator appears and the rainbow spinning progress wheel just keeps going and going

I took a sample from the process ("not responding...") - I'm attaching it to this in case that helps

thanks again, i really appreciate it.

thanks again

Attached Files:

4. 40developer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't had any luck loading a test App onto my iPhone. I even tried zipping the folder, changing extension to .ipa... I don't have the $99 developer "membership" at this point

I get "... is not a valid application"

I installed the new SDK 4 beta. Although I checked off all the SDK's on the install, i only see 4.0.

So I'm wondering if it won't load because my iPhone is not 4.0 OS

i may just install the last SDK again and work from there. The 4.0 beta doesn't seem to have helped at all

Thanks again!

5. dcbr1000 macrumors newbie

Ok I had the same problem and tried to contact apple with no luck there. here's what I did to solve my problem, I was going to to format my drive and reinstall OSX snow leopard but i got to thinking that it was something with the upgrade from older versions of OSX so I decided to just install snow leopard on a portable drive first and see what happen and it worked and now the simulator does not freeze anymore. so what I'm saying is try a reformat and install of snow leopard fresh or like I did install onto a external drive if you don't want to do that,which is what worked for me. hope this help alot of people cause I been searching all over the net for a solution. also I have the same macbook as you have so the specs were the same.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Without jailbreaking, you must be part of the paid developer program in order to deploy your app to a device.

7. bredell macrumors regular

You also seem to have a problem with your pointers.

8. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

NSBlogPost *myQuestion = [[NSBlogPost alloc] initWithRandomPunctuation];