Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buymeaniphone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
Has anyone else noticed iPhoneMatters.com has been down since this afternoon. There's a message that says:
"Notice
This website has been flagged for excessive Apple fanboism, and has been taken down for 24 hours.

This is a message to the rest of the Mac community, so listen up. Ever heard of hubris? Tone it down, and you will not be attacked. Everyone else is open game.

~ malcor"

Has anyone else heard about this Malcor guy? I was checking out his site and apparently some people that have posted comments think he should pull the same stunt to MacRumors for being too "Apple Fanboish".

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's pretty clear that the whole thing is a publicity stunt. Nothing to see here.

Rumor is that it's part of the setup for the next incarnation of MacHeist.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
It's pretty clear that the whole thing is a publicity stunt. Nothing to see here.

Rumor is that it's part of the setup for the next incarnation of MacHeist.

Yikes, Makes me kinda worried about my precious little wallpaper website :(

Well I haven't really gotten on anyone's bad side, I see no reason for my site to be attacked :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You'd love to be "hacked"...imagine the publicity. Which is why all of the "victims" have partnered with MacHeist (well, presumably MacHeist) to pull this off.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
I am having trouble figuring out exactly what MacHeist is.... WildCowboy, a little help?

Also, where can I find some background on this "malcor" he seems decently well known?

blaster_boy

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Belgium
Last year, there was a macheist, an ongoing game during the last weeks of the year where you got cryptic puzzles that you had to solve.

Part of the fun was that it was live, you had to visit websites, search forums, etc. Hugely popular.

Then, the final week or so, the whole thing came together. For 50 bucks or so you could buy a whole slew of mac software that would have normally cost you up to 300 dollars or more (I'm vague on numbers, please don't take this as exact numbers).

A real steal, hence the name macheist.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
MacHeist...they've had some clever challenges for giving away cheap software, although there have been some questions about whether enough of the profits have been passed along to the developers of the apps.

Malcor is only well-known because of this...here is his blog. This is third site he's "hacked."

Oh, and the AppleMatters folks admitted that it's a PR stunt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.